Chapter 27

"I hear the birds and the bees have been buzzing?"

Logan ignored the grin on Dylan's face and retied his shoelace. They'd been running for the last twenty minutes, alternating between a fast jog and full-throttle power. Dylan called it endurance training, Logan called it torture.

He stood and stretched his back. Six days had passed since his article had been published. And, in that time, his life had changed forever. "I know why you wanted to do an Ironman Competition, but why did you have to rope me into being your training buddy?"

Dylan's lips twitched. "You're the only person I know who's mad enough to run forty miles a week for fun."

"How's the rest of your training going?"

"Biking is okay. Swimming is on hold while the indoor pool's being resurfaced. I'll be back to normal next week. You wouldn't be changing the subject, would you?"

Logan took a water bottle out of his backpack. "Do you want to keep running or are you more interested in talking?"

Dylan laughed. "Running could be safer."

Logan finished his drink then followed Dylan. Sypes Canyon was one of the most popular running and hiking trails in Bozeman. The wooded canyon was on the west side of the Bridger Range. Two miles into their run they'd stopped at the lookout, enjoying incredible views of Bozeman and the surrounding valley. They were up to the next part of their run, the track that would take them farther into the canyon.

Logan wiped the sweat out of his eyes and got back into an easy rhythm, catching up with Dylan in no time at all.

"How long have you been seeing Tess? And I don't mean in the café."

Logan ignored Dylan. He kept moving, dodging tree roots and stones on the trail. "How come you're not out of breath?"

"Must be getting fit."

Logan huffed out a burst of laughter. He'd never known a time when Dylan wasn't fit. The man was a machine, ready for anything life could throw at him. Well, almost anything. What Dylan had gone through in Afghanistan was horrific. He'd been on the receiving end of some of the cruelest treatment Logan had heard about, and he was still recovering.

Dylan also happened to be the most stubborn person Logan knew. If he didn't tell him something about Tess, he'd never stop bugging him. "Tess has been staying with me for five days. Mom gets back tomorrow."

"Is that a good thing?"

"No." He loved his mom, but he loved Tess more.

He was still getting used to it, the loving thing. He'd never loved another person quite like he loved Tess. She made him laugh, made him content. Five years ago, if anyone had told him being content was important, he would have laughed in their face. But just lately that feeling had become important. He wasn't the same adrenaline junkie that used to leap off tall buildings and throw themselves under burning bridges. He'd put himself and others in danger, and he wouldn't do it again.

A tree branch snapped back and whacked him in the face. "Hey, watch what you're doing."

Dylan laughed. "Don't run so close. So where's this thing with Tess going?"

"What is this? Twenty questions?"

"If I could get one straight answer out of you, I'd be happy. Twenty is pushing it."

Logan picked up a stick and poked Dylan in the back. "It's going nowhere while I'm running with you."

"It's a Saturday morning tradition. You can't mess with tradition."