Chapter 21

Logan knocked on Dylan's front door. He wasn't home.

For most of the day, he was answering phone calls from journalists. Over the years, Senator Gibson's name had been linked to many high-profile charities and organizations. After his story hit the headlines, everyone wanted more information. They wanted to reconcile the good-looking senator with the drug dealing opportunist they'd read about.

Logan sat in his truck and answered another call. This one was from a reporter in Paris. They wanted to know whether Senator Gibson was linked to any French nationals. The only connection to France Logan had found was to a property in Aquitaine. According to the senator's ex-wife, he'd taken his girlfriends to the rustic mansion for romantic weekends away.

It was no wonder Marcie was making every cent she could out of her life with her ex-husband. She'd already sold her story to a high-profile magazine and agreed to be interviewed on the biggest talk show in America. True to her plan, she was on track to make a fortune from her ex-husband's drug dealing life.

Marcie didn't have any regrets about going public, but Logan wasn't so lucky. He regretted his friendship with Tess being the catalyst for the story. He regretted knowing she must think he'd used her for his own gain. And he regretted what could happen next with Jilly.

Someone tapped on the passenger window. "Are you going to sit here all night or come inside?"

Logan had never been happier to see Dylan. He turned off his phone and jumped out of the truck. "How's Tess?"

"She's okay. I dropped your mom off at your house."

"Did Mom read the story?"

"She read it with Tess."

Logan didn't like the sound of that. "What did they say?"

"Your mom thought it was well-written, balanced, and thought provoking. By the end, she wanted to strangle the senator and put him behind bars for what he'd done."

"What about Tess?"

Dylan hesitated. "She didn't say much. Did you consider showing her the article before it was published?"

"Yes, but I didn't want her to worry about it."

"She wouldn't have been half as worried if you'd shown her what you'd written."

Logan followed Dylan onto his front porch. "It's not the story I'm worried about. Jilly isn't happy."

"I don't expect she is. You took what she thought was her story and published it first."

"She's writing another story."

"Do you know what she wrote?"

"No." Logan stepped inside Dylan's home and looked around. "You still haven't unpacked everything?" About eight boxes lined one wall of the living room. They'd been sitting there for the last six months. Logan didn't know if Dylan hadn't unpacked them because he didn't have the time or if he wasn't sure he wanted to stay.

Dylan glanced at the boxes on his way through to the kitchen. "I emptied another one last weekend. I'm not in a hurry, especially if I find somewhere to live in Bozeman."

"A snail moves faster than you do when it comes to unpacking. Even if you move, it would be good to get everything out of the boxes. Do you want me to give you a hand?"

"Does it look as though I need help?"

"Everyone needs help now and then."

"If you want to be useful you can get some cans of soda out of the refrigerator. I'll start the barbecue. You look as though you could do with a decent meal."