Chapter 19

The next morning, Tess looked up when the kitchen door opened.

"Are you ready to be our tour guide?" Dylan stood in the doorway looking all outdoorsy in his khaki pants and white T-shirt.

"I'm not going."

The gleam in Dylan's eyes told her he found her stubbornness amusing. The rest of his face hadn't moved from commando cool. It was scary to think she was getting used to his non-existent body language.

Tess frowned. "Annie went outside ten minutes ago and told you to go without me."

"So she did." Dylan didn't move. "Seems like we're at one of those impasses."

Tess threw a handful of mixed herbs in the pie filling she was making. "No, we're not. I know exactly what I want to do. I'm staying here."

"Logan asked me to look after you, so that's what I'm doing."

"I'd suggest you get Logan's mom out of the truck, then. I can make you a cup of coffee and you can enjoy the ambiance of the café for the rest of the day."

Dylan shook his head. At least she thought he had, but that could have been her imagination. "Not happening. You're coming with us."

Tess lifted her brow. She could be just as expressive as Dylan.

He didn't look impressed. "I want to see Yellowstone National Park. If I have to look after you, I can at least get a free tour out of the deal."

Annie pushed past Dylan. "Sorry, but I need to get the mop. Oliver Tanner just spilled his chocolate milkshake all over his little sister."

As soon as Annie's body connected with Dylan's, he did the unthinkable. He actually moved. Fast. He looked so befuddled that Tess wouldn't have believed it unless she'd seen it with her own eyes.

Annie hadn't noticed that something out of the ordinary had just happened. She zoomed into their storage room and reappeared with the cleaning cart.

Dylan made sure he was out of harm's way when she ran back into the café.

A woman with short black hair and worried blue eyes joined Dylan in the kitchen. "Do you have another cloth you could give me? The chocolate milkshake has gone everywhere." She glanced at Tess and smiled. "You must be my son's almost girlfriend."

Tess forced herself to smile. It wasn't Logan's mom's fault that her son was an idiot.

"Almost?" Dylan had suddenly become interested in the conversation going on around him. "I thought Logan told you it was all a misunderstanding."

Mrs. Allen sent a dazzling smile toward Dylan. "I live in hope." She glanced around the kitchen and saw the paper towels on the wall. "These will do." She dribbled water on them, then headed into the café.

Tess washed the dough off her hands and followed Mrs. Allen. It was bad enough that her son helped in the kitchen. Mrs. Allen didn't need to clean up spilled milkshake as well. When she saw the mess Oliver had made she understood Annie and Mrs. Allen's need to get things clean.

Oliver Tanner's little sister was sitting in a highchair licking chocolate milkshake off her arm. Oliver's dad was using every napkin he could find to wipe the milkshake off the rest of her. The floor and checkered tablecloth were coated in the same sticky mess.

Tess found another highchair and placed it beside Mr. Tanner. "Do you want to move Maddy into here?"

He looked at the highchair, then at his daughter's dress. "I didn't bring a change of clothes for Maddy." He looked so upset that Tess knew something else was going on.