II - The Weirdo

It was still storming outside when the five kids arrived at the Wheeler house. Mike had claimed it to be the 'closest and safest' of all their homes. Now, Lucy had no idea where the other two lived, but Mike Wheeler's house sure was a lot closer to where they ended up than her own. . .as far as she could tell, that was. The group of kids were all in the basement, standing around the girl they had found in the woods. Lucy Harrington kept her head tilted as her eyes ran over the shivering girl who was now wearing an old jacket Mike had found in a box.

"Is there a number we can call? For your parents?" Mike spoke to her calmly.

"Where's your hair? Do you have cancer?" Dustin sounded worried.

"Did you run away?" Lucas asked, giving Dustin a 'what the fuck' look.

"Are you in some kind of trouble?" Mike continued.

"Is that blood?" Lucas went to reach a hand out to the girl's face, Mike quick to slap it away.

"Stop it! You're freaking her out!"

"She's freaking me out!"

"I bet she's deaf." Dustin mused. He was quick to clap in her direction causing the girl to flinch back and give him an annoyed look. "Not deaf."

Lucy groaned, "Boys." She huffed out, sitting down next to the girl from the woods. "Are you cold?" The girl nodded. "Okay, let me see if I have some extra clothes, yeah?"

The brunette walked over to her bag, picking it up and finding that she had her clothes from the day before in it. Now, it would work but it wouldn't be very warm. She made her way back over to the boys, tugging softly on Mike's sleeve. "Mike?" Lucy said just above a whisper. The three boys immediately snapped their heads around to the shy girl, all of them honestly a little surprised she had said anything other than one of her long rambles. "Do you have dry clothes and a towel? She's cold."

The boy with black hair stood there for a second, making out the words that Lucy had just said before he nodded. "Yeah- Yeah, I do." The Wheeler went over to the washing machines behind her, grabbing the things Lucy asked for from the laundry basket that was on top of the washer. When the thunder got louder the girl from the woods flinched, just as Lucy had been doing all night long. "Here, these are clean. Okay?" Mike held the clothes out for her, which she slowly took. "I- I didn't see any towels. Sorry." The four kids watched as the stranger from the woods gently rubbed the pants on her cheek to catch some of the rain water. She then stood up, taking off the jacket Mike had given her and reaching to take off her shirt as well.

"No, no, no!" Mike shouted, pushing her hands back down.

"Woah!" Lucas turned around, covering his eyes.

"Oh my God! Oh my God! Oh my God!" Dustin screeched.

Lucy just stood there, holding down a tight laugh. "You three are ridiculous."

"See, over there?" Mike pointed toward a door by the washing machine, "Th- That's the bathroom. Privacy, get it?"

The girl looked at him for a moment before she turned around and picked up the clothes from off the couch. She made her way over to the bathroom, Lucy close behind. When they got over there and the stranger was in the bathroom, Lucy went to close the door to give the girl some more privacy. She stuck her hand on the door, stopping the young Harrington. "Oh- Do you want it open then?"

"Yes." Lucy smiled, nodding to the girl.

"Okay. I'll leave it cracked, is that okay? Like this." The Harrington left it open just slightly. "Look! I can fit my whole hand in it!" The brunette giggled, pushing both her hands in the crack and wiggling them around at the girl. "Does that work?"