XXII - Radio Static

Lucy was laying in El's bed with one of Hopper's flannels on as a night-gown of sorts. She didn't have time to grab pajamas since she drove straight from the mall there so she simply kept her shorts on and stole it from his drawer, knowing he wouldn't actually mind. She had her legs propped up against the wall and was swaying her head to the music Max and El had blasting, 'Angel'. Eleven was sat just by Lucy's head, looking through magazines as Max danced along to the song and sung into a hairbrush like it was a microphone.

El flipped open a magazine to a horizontal photo of Ralph Macchio, grinning at the pretty boy on the page. "Oh, you found Ralph Macchio." Max smirked.

"He's cute." Lucy approved with a small smile.

"Macchio?" El questioned his name.

"Yeah, he's the Karate Kid." Max smiled, mimicking a Karate chop with a "Hai-yah!" and a laugh. "He's so hot, right? I bet he's an amazing kisser, too."

"Ew!" Lucy gagged, rolling her eyes. Kissing seemed like such a weird concept, but maybe that was just because she had never had her first kiss yet.

"Hey, uh-" Max ignored Lucy, only giving her a roll of the eyes in response as she sat herself on the bed above Lucy's head. "Is Mike a good kisser?"

"I don't know." El smiled. "He's my first boyfriend."

Max shrugged a nod before rolling her eyes at her other friend this time. "Ex-boyfriend." El frowned. "Hey, don't worry about it. Okay? He'll come crawling back to you in no time, begging for forgiveness. I guarantee you, him and Lucas are, like, totally wallowing in self-pity and misery right now. They're like 'Oh, I hope they take us back.'" Max fake sobbed, getting a laugh out of El.

"Dustin's not." Lucy frowned, crossing her arms tight to her chest.

"He will be, you just gotta give him a reason to." Max winked, patting Lucy on the shoulder reassuringly. "God! What I wouldn't give to see their stupid faces." El thought for a moment, looking at the radio that was still playing the same song. "What is it?"

The girls were quick to switch the yellow radio, which Lucy very much appreciated the aesthetic of, to an empty channel that transmitted static through the speakers. El sat just in front of her dresser where the radio was and pulled a blindfold over her eyes.

"Is this really gonna work?" Max asked from her spot next to Lucy on El's bed.

"Yeah, I've seen it before, it's cool." Lucy nodded while whispering her words.

"Holy shit, this is insane." Max beamed.

"Max." El said sternly.

"Yeah, quiet. I'm sorry."

El took deep breaths as the boy's voices started to break through the radio.

"What's wrong with me? What did I do wrong?" Mike breathed out. Lucy could tell, just from his tone, that he was probably pacing.

"Nothing." Lucas assured.

"What did I do wrong? What could I have done wrong?" Mike repeated with more urgency.

"Do I have to go through this again?" Lucas asked with the slightest groan.

"I see them." El told the girls.

"What are they doing?" Max asked, getting up off the bed and kneeling beside El.

"Eating."

"Can't you hear them?" Lucy quirked a brow, getting a look of confusion from Max.

"No?"

"Oh." Lucy's expression fell, matching Max's. That was weird.

"I just don't understand what I did to deserve this." Mike's voice was muffled through the crunch of whatever it was he was eating.