III - Party

Nancy was getting ready to leave, Lucy right on her heels. The younger girl had her backpack and jacket on and her shoes already tied, she was practically out the door. Nancy turned to the girl, "Look, I'm not actually going to that assembly thing. But, I'm sure Barb wouldn't mind dropping you off there, if you really wanted to go."

"I know, I never wanted to go to the school. You're going to my house, to see my brother. I just figured stealing a ride would be easier than walking." Lucy scratched at her arm, not liking the way that Nancy was staring at her like a foreign object.

"Steve has a. . .sister?"

"Mhmm. . ."

"Well- You know that we're going to be drinking and stuff, right? Wouldn't you rather stay here?" Lucy scoffed, shaking her head. She wasn't an idiot. She climbed into the left hand side of Barb's backseat, just like she always did.

"Hey Luce, what are you doing here?" Barb looked at the younger girl.

"Hangin' out with Will's friends." She mumbled. "I know you're going to my house, can I- could you drive me too please?"

"Of course, Luce."

"You know her too? Who the hell is this kid?" Nancy slid into the car, looking dumbfounded at her best friend and the strange kid she had just met that day.

"Lucy Harrington." She muttered out of habit. People didn't remember her name often, she was only ever 'Steve Harrington's sister' or 'that one'.

"She's Josette's friend. I've known her for seven or so years." Barb shrugged.

————————————————————————————————

Once they were on the road to Lucy's house, but before they quite reached in, Nancy told Barbra to pull over. She had claimed that driving the final three blocks to Steve Harrington's house was too 'risky' since they weren't supposed to be there. "Are you serious?" Barb scoffed. Lucy grabbed her jacket, sliding it back onto her arms.

"Yeah, the neighbors might see."

"This is so stupid, I'm just going to drop you guys off."

"Calm down, Barb." Nancy stopped the red head from turning her car back on. "Come on. You promised that you'd go. You're coming."

"I think she should go home if she doesn't want to be here." Lucy snarled, getting a glare from Nancy and a smile from Barb.

"We're gonna have a great time." Nancy pressed on.

"He just wants to get in your pants." Lucy laughed, knowing it was probably true. The young Harrington picked up a small rabbit stuffed animal she hadn't realized she left in there the week before and slid out of Barb's car.

"Thanks Barb." She smiled, knowing that neither of the teens were paying her any mind. Lucy pulled out her walkman from her jacket pocket, hitting play as Should I Stay or Should I Go by The Clash started. She bopped her head along to the song that played through her headphones. As she made it to her house, she shut the door without locking it, well aware that Nancy and Barb were only ten minutes, at most, behind her. She could hear music playing in the backyard and saw her brother in the kitchen grabbing a box of beers.

"Hey Lu," He smiled. His sister kept a straight face, nodding and running up the stairs. She wanted nothing to do with this 'party' she just wanted to go upstairs and draw. Just as she pulled her old colored pencils from her backpack she heard the doorbell ring. She had grabbed out the old ones because she didn't want to try out her brand new ones until she was able to do it with Will. Without much thought, she started drawing, she decided she would draw 'Will the Wise' because. . .well, because she missed him. Sure he had only been gone for two days, but still. Lucy was worried that he might not come back and that fear settled deep in her gut. She heard a knock at the front door and went downstairs. She knew that her brother and his friends wouldn't have been able to hear it over their music and figured it would be better if she went to open it herself.