XIX - Blood

With much struggle, Dustin, Lucas, Mike and Russell got Steve into the backseat of Billy's car. Max was in the driver's seat, Lucas in the passenger's. Lucy and Dustin were sitting in the seat behind Max, Lucy was on Dustin's lap because they ran out of spots. Her face was bright red and she held on to him for dear life with Max's messy driving. Mike was in the middle with Russell beside him. They had Steve laid out across their laps, his head resting on Russell's as she held an icepack against it. Lucy pulled a couple of her sunflower bandaids from her pocket, handing them over to Russell who gratefully put them against Steve's head.

The car was completely silent except for the sloshing of the gasoline that Mike held in his hands. Steve's eyes fluttered open, looking around the car. His eyes fell on Russell and he smiled, "Pretty." He beamed, groaning at the way his head felt when he contorted it.

He went to reach a hand up to touch his face but Russell gently pulled his hand away. "No- Don't do that, Steve." Her voice was so gentle it made him grin again.

"Hey buddy," Dustin smiled, shushing Steve. "It's okay, you put up a good fight."

"He kicked your ass." Russell shrugged.

"But he still put up a good fight." Lucy chimed in, getting a smile and a head nod from Dustin.

"Lu?" Steve muttered, his eyes fluttering slightly as he turned to look at his sister sitting on Dustin's lap.

Steve groaned again and Russell's face twisted into panic. "You're okay, you're okay."

"Okay, you're gonna keep straight for a half a mile, then make a left on Mount Sinai." Lucas told Max.

"What's going on?" Steve mumbled, his eyes going wide when Max turned around and he saw that she was the one driving. "O- Oh, my God!"

"Steve, relax. She's driven before." Dustin confirmed. "Just pay attention to Russell."

He looked up to the girl who was still running her fingers through his hair, her other hand firmly holding the ice pack to his temple.

"Yeah, in a parking lot." Mike shot back.

"That counts." Lucas huffed.

"Oh, my God." Steve groaned again.

"They were going to leave you behind. But I promised that you'd be cool, okay?" Dustin told Steve.

"Woah, woah, woah, woah! What's going on!" He shouted as Max pushed her foot further into the gas pedal. Lucy squealed, rapping her arms tighter around Dustin's torso and digging her head onto his shoulder. "Oh, my God. No. Woah! Stop the car. Slow down." Steve panicked.

Russell grabbed his face, making him look up at her. "Hey, hey. . .It's okay. It's okay." She cooed, gently running her hand through his fluffy hair. He calmed down, staring up into the sky that was Russell Hargrove's eyes.

"I told you he'd freak out!" Mike shot at Dustin.

"Everybody shut up!" Max shouted, "I'm trying to focus!"

"Oh, wait! That's Mount Sinai! Make a left." Lucas shouted, pointing out his window.

"What?"

"Make a left!"

Max took a sharp left, causing them all to scream. They pulled to a stop just before the hole and Steve shouted out 'Oh, hello!'

"Woah." Dustin huffed, still holding Lucy tight to him as if he was scared she still might fall.

"Incredible." Mike panted out.

"I told you. Zoomer." Max pulled the door of the car open, all of them climbing out. Steve fell out of the car, landing on the floor with a groan. The six of them ran to the trunk of the car, pulling out masks and glasses to protect their faces.