Necessary Sacrifice

70 per cent of the world is conquered by The Demon Lord. The rest...barely hold on to a thin thread.

What awaits the fate of abandoned humans in conquered lands? One word: hell.

Humans become mere livestock. At any moment, demons are allowed to buy any humans for a price following certain regulations and do whatever they want. Some work their lives away, and some are forced to be lovers and bear the children of demons, but the most common fate of humans is food for demons.
Demon nobility munching on human meat is a constant sight.

Nonetheless, there is one thing that demons acknowledge about humans, their potential. Humans with incredible aptitudes are forced to work for demons or die. In return, they retain their livelihood and their family is granted citizenship.

Haren is the leader of a magic development council serving the Eighth Son of The Demon Lord. The Ninth and Eighth Sons have a good relationship and occasionally ask for help from one another, albeit coming to Rodgof might be Haren's personal choice for revenge.

==================================

"Have you heard of Haren Demiuscra?" I say.

"Haren...what?" Liam replies.

"He is a human from Abigail continent," I say.

"Abigail...? Isn't that a continent...conquered by demons?"

I nod.

"This symbol is a small array drawing that can gather and expel mana. The drawings are most likely spread by Haren for whatever reason. This is why I'm in Rodgof after an anonymous tip-off." I say, partially telling the truth.

I turn to the rest staring at me. "If anyone has any suggestions, feel free to voice them out."

The children glance at one another and a boy raises his hand. "What if we get rid of those drawings?"

With our current force and manpower, it's impossible but...

Looks like no one else has a better strategy with such little information as predicted. Good.

"For now, the older ones should travel to major cities and take out whatever drawings you can find. At the same time, help the locals and establish relationships and recruit for our group. With this, you get to experience your newfound freedom on a wider spectrum, killing two birds with one stone."

Kin scratches his head. "But..."

I smile. "All of you are stronger than you think."

...

The teenagers nod.

Lily raises her hand. "Uh...should we come up with a name? It will be easier to spread our influence."

"Ah! Justice of Shadows!" says Ren.

Rin raises her brow. "What corny name is that?"

"You-"

"How about Astrea?" I say.

"The meaning?" Liam asks.

"Western folklore has a god called Astrea who unleashed Vengeance against evildoers discreetly."

Everyone in the room stares at me. I gulp at their vicious gaze.

Was I excessively pretentious?

Ren grins. "Sure let's go with that! I like the sound of it!"

Everyone agrees with her and it's settled.

"Remember, if you meet any suspicious activities or a man with black hair and eyes, ignore it and report back to me."