1. The first drop

(what I should tell you, before you start to read any further... this story is a piece of me, a puzzle of my memories, thoughts, dreams, which my father gave to me... after all this time... he wanted me to share his story with you, the truth, the motives behind his actions and the greater things he found during his last years in Hogwarts...)

(take a great care of this tale for me...
because it contains my heart...and his too)

(enjoy! D. L. S.)

1994 February 6, Hogwarts
A slow whistle parched through the air inside the castle, a distant sound, remarking what was about to come, an alarm. Chaperoning the sound, a phoenix flew through, moving its wings elegantly, letting the air caress its feathers, going with the flow, abutting on it. She observed the castle, and the students walking through the corridors, laughing, and making jokes. She saw the smiles on their faces, them grinning, and it reminded her of her childhood, the purity of this part of their life, being careless, not minding the adult problems. How perfect it was...

Then, she tilted her body to the right side, flying out of the window carefully, following the way her mind dictated, wanting to reach the top of the castle, having an aim, a destination. Her head held high, she turned again, straining her wings as she flew against gravity. Finally, she reached the top, landing softly and soundlessly on the ridge of the headmaster's office. Her heart was pounding in her chest, her breaths coming in short gasps as she tried to catch her breath, her whole body trembling with the effort of the soaring.

Even as she struggled to regain her composure, she knew that she could not rest, that she must continue, driven by the fierce determination that burned within her. And so, with a sense of purpose and focus, she began to shake out her wings, carefully extorting the negativity and fear that had taken root within them.

"Ah, welcome back, my dear," the headmaster chimed, sensing her presence from behind. "I trust you had a great time." The headmaster's voice was gentle and warm, like a ray of sunshine on a cold winter's day. His eyes sparkled with the wisdom of the ages, and the lines on his face spoke of a lifetime of knowledge and experience.

As the man's words floated through the air, a subtle transformation began to take hold of the majestic phoenix. Her wings, once vibrant and powerful, began to recede and dissipate, shrinking and folding inward until they disappeared altogether. With each passing moment, the creature's features became more and more human, until at last, she stood before the man as a young woman.

The phoenix's once-black eyes now shone with a new light, filled with emotions and depth that had not been there before. The beak that once adorned her face gradually faded away, replaced by the soft contours of human features. Her hair was of the most delicate shade of midnight brown like the fiery autumn leaves that dance in the wind. It cascaded down her back in waves, each strand flowing like a river of gold as she moved. In place of her once majestic feathers, she now wore dark brown robes, with a hint of golden features, elegant and flowing, a reflection of her newfound humanity. She took one step closer to the man, her eyes never leaving his as if searching for something within them.

For a long moment, the two simply stood there, gazing at one another in silence. It was as if time itself had slowed, the world around them melting away until all that remained was the two of them, standing there amid some great and profound moment.

Finally, the woman spoke, her voice filled with a softness that belied a great inner strength: "I did, Albus," she said. "It was the most wondrous experience. I felt like I was touching the stars themselves." Her eyes shone with a fierce intensity, and the headmaster could see the fire burning within her.