12. Yule Ball & Memories

1994 December 25, Hogwarts
"You've surpassed yourself yet again, Bela," Minerva breathed, her sharp eyes scanning the room with a reverent gaze. The professors lingered in the Great Hall, their steps hushed and measured, and the students drifted aimlessly, lulled by the anticipation of the coming revelries.

Isobel had spent the entire day orchestrating the elves, weaving her wand with practised finesse to adorn every corner with finery. It was a ritual, a cathartic dance that let her forget all else, and Albus had placed his trust in her with a grateful heart. And, as he had known, the fruits of her labour were nothing short of breathtaking.

The Great Hall was transformed into a winter wonderland, bathed in a warm, enchanting glow that filled every nook and cranny. Glistening icicles hung from the high ceilings, shimmering like diamonds in the candlelight, while delicate snowflakes drifted gently down from above, caught in the gentle currents of air.

The walls were adorned with boughs of holly and mistletoe, which seemed to come to life as they swayed to and fro, spreading their fragrant, spicy scent throughout the room. Large, round tables were draped in crisp, white linens, with silver candelabras standing tall at their centres, casting flickering shadows across the faces of the guests.

A magnificent, twelve-foot-tall Christmas tree towered over the festivities, adorned with glittering ornaments and twinkling fairy lights that sparkled in every hue of the rainbow. The floor was slick with frost, and as the dancers spun around, their robes swirled in a flurry of colour, like the petals of a blooming flower.

"Thank you, mother," she whispered with heartfelt gratitude. And one by one, those who had borne witness to her struggles - and knew that it had been her, who graced the hall in effortless beauty - stepped forward, their faces alight with joy, each offering their congratulations with a warmth that enveloped her like a cocoon.

˚·꒷༶✧❁✧༶꒷·˚

Snape arrived last amongst the professors, his customary attire draping his slender frame, the absence of his cape leaving him feeling vulnerable. He had always been self-conscious of his slight figure, and the cape had provided a measure of comfort, shielding him from prying eyes and unwanted attention. Its absence now left him feeling exposed, as if the eyes of the world were trained on him, ready to mock and taunt him at any moment.

He had debated attending the event, his mind awash with thoughts of inadequacy and self-doubt. Obligated by his position among the faculty, he had little choice but to make an appearance, though now as he stood amidst the revelry, his face betraying no emotion, he felt his weary brain crying out for respite.

He watched enviously as the lithe and graceful figures entered the halls with effortless abandon, their laughter ringing out like the tinkling of a thousand bells. For them, everything seemed to come so easily, unencumbered by the weight of past struggles or the burden of a heavy heart. It was as if they had never known the pain and hardships that had marked his own path, and at that moment, he felt a deep sense of isolation and alienation, as if he were a stranger in his own skin.

As he took measured steps towards the faculty, he observed Isobel encircled by her admirers, her effortless charm mesmerising everyone. Oh, how he envied her! Her wit, her sharp gaze that captured everything, her knowledge - all of it shared only with a select few, including Albus, as they exchanged furtive glances. He knew she was his confidant, but he could never fathom why. The ease with which she was loved by all - her mother, the students - was almost unfair.

He greeted them with a nod, and then, the ball began, and the champions made their grand entrance with their partners. As the dance floor beckoned, he glanced at his Slytherins, particularly at Draco Malfoy and Pansy Parkinson, who was poised to join in the dance. Snape knew they would execute the steps to perfection, having seen them before on many occasions in the Malfoy Manor.