15. Dark Mark

1995 June 24, Hogwarts
"Severus," Isobel called out with a voice that carried a hint of longing and urgency, her words trailing after him like whispers of a fading dream. She watched him stride away from the hospital wing, his figure disappearing into the distance like a ghostly apparition.

He halted, but his back remained turned, unmoving as the silence between them thickened, heavy with the weight of their unspoken feelings. Finally, she caught up to him, her heart pounding in her chest as she stood behind him, her breaths shallow and laboured.

With a soft breath, she spoke his name again, her lips shaping the syllables with a delicate precision, as if they were the most precious thing in the world.

"What?" His voice was rough and terse, a defence mechanism against the emotions he struggled to contain, a wall that kept him from falling apart.

"You're going to him, aren't you?" she whispered, her eyes fixed on his retreating form, knowing deep down that he was destined to go, even if it meant facing the consequences of his tardiness.

The air between them grew heavy with the weight of their unspoken words, as he paused and turned to face her. His expression was inscrutable, masking the turmoil churning within, a storm of conflicting emotions.

"What of it?" His voice was low and measured, belying the fierce determination in his eyes, a determination to do what he thought was right, no matter the cost.

"I need to go with you," she said hurriedly, her words spilling out like a flood of emotions she could no longer contain, her voice shaking with fear and desperation.

Severus's eyes narrowed at her, anger flashing across his face like a bolt of lightning. "Heaven's sake! Are you insane? Have you been blinded by that insolent man?" he spat, his words laced with bitterness and resentment, as he reached for her arm and gripped it angrily.

But Isobel refused to back down, her eyes blazing with a fierce determination of their own. "Severus," she said, her voice ringing with a clarity that cut through the thick tension between them. "Just like you, I, too, have a task I have to fulfil. So there was no question. I am going with you."

Severus stared at her, his grip on her arm slowly loosening as he took in her words, his eyes searching hers for any sign of doubt or hesitation. For a moment, the world around them faded away, leaving only the two of them standing there, their souls laid bare.

And then, without a word, he nodded, his eyes fixed on the distant horizon as he strode away from the castle walls, his figure bathed in the golden light of the setting sun. He walked with purpose, his steps sure and steady, as if guided by an unseen force.

Reaching a far corner, he stopped, turning to face her once more, his gaze unwavering as he extended his hand, a silent invitation to join him on this journey into the unknown.

She met his gaze with a steady stare, her heart pounding in her chest as she took his hand, her fingers interlocking with his in a graceful dance of trust and surrender. They held each other's gaze, their eyes speaking volumes that their lips dared not utter, until finally, they broke the spell and stepped into the swirling motion.

The world around them blurred, a kaleidoscope of colours and shapes, as they were whisked away to an unknown place, a place of magic and mystery, of danger and adventure.

˚·꒷༶✧❁✧༶꒷·˚

"Ah, Severus," the voice echoed through the damp air, a haunting melody that sent shivers down her spine. As she stepped forward, her feet sinking into the soft earth and mud, she surveyed her surroundings with keen eyes, taking in the eerie stillness of the tomb that surrounded her. In the dim light, shadows danced and flickered, teasing her with their elusive movements. But amidst the darkness, she sensed a presence, a dark and brooding figure that lurked just beyond her sight. "You are late," the voice added. "But you brought us a gift."