13. The Effect of the Black Lake

1995 February 13, Hogwarts
With a resolute tone, Severus declared, "No, I haven't made a mistake, Minerva, someone is stealing from my stores," as they savoured tea in the enchanting ambience of the youthful McGonagall's offices on a tranquil Saturday.

"I find it absurd, Severus. What could be the motive behind this felony?" retorted the wise woman.

Isobel interjected, "What has vanished, again?"

"Boomslang skin and lacewing flies," the Potions Master divulged, casting a fleeting glance at Isobel.

"Ah, so someone's brewing Polyjuice Potion," Isobel deduced.

With a haughty sniff, Minerva quipped, "I almost forgot I'm in the company of two potioneers."

"Indeed, most likely," Severus confirmed, restraining himself from rebuking Minerva's sardonic remark.

Isobel's expression had become. "Do you have any suspects?"

Severus hesitated for a moment before answering. "There is one person who has shown an unusual interest in my stores lately. I cannot say for certain that they are the culprit, but I believe it is worth investigating further."

Minerva's eyes twinkled mischievously as she sipped her tea. "Not many can brew that potion correctly, Severus."

Severus smirked, his pride evident. "But of course. It takes a skilled hand and a keen eye to brew it to perfection."

Isobel nodded, her gaze focused. "So, we have to search for someone with advanced potion skills. Perhaps among the Slytherins, since they are closest to your office and stores, Severus?"

The Potions Master frowned, not wanting to believe that any of his beloved Slytherins could be capable of such a heinous crime. "I highly doubt any of my students would stoop so low as to steal from me. They know better."

Minerva raised an eyebrow, a hint of amusement in her voice. "My dear Severus, you are so loyal to your house. But let us not rule out any possibilities. Why don't I inquire amongst my Gryffindors, and Isobel, you can handle the rest?"

Isobel nodded eagerly, taking charge of the so-called investigation. "Of course, mother. We'll find the culprit, no matter where they hide."

"Then, it's settled, but for now, let us return to our tea and biscuits, it's Saturday, after all," Minerva concluded

"I have to agree," Severus nodded in agreement.

The sound of the teapot being refilled and the clinking of spoons against porcelain cups filled the room as they settled back into the cosy atmosphere, enjoying each other's company in silence. For a brief moment, the weight of the world and the pressures of their duties were forgotten, replaced by the warmth of friendship and the simple pleasure of a cup of tea.

The days passed by in a steady rhythm since the Yule Ball, with only the occasional burst of excitement to break up the monotony. But amidst the never-ending cycle of teaching, grading, and sleeping, there was a subtle shift in the relationship between Severus and Isobel.

They became even closer than before, their bond forged through their shared love of potions and their tireless dedication to their duties. They would spend hours in the library, poring over ancient tomes and searching for drops of knowledge that they had not yet mastered.

Isobel, too, had other duties to attend to. She would often perch on her place in Dumbledore's office, her wings twitching with excitement as someone new entered or as the Headmaster shared his latest insights. She was Albus's third eye, his trusted observer who would report back with the truth about any situation.