4. Silent grief, with a flicker of fear

1994 June 3, Hogwarts
As the cycle of time completed its revolution once again, Isobel found herself immersed in the task of preparing her students for the impending trials ahead. Day in and day out, she laboured with the utmost care, delicately guiding her pupils towards mastery of the arcane arts. Every moment was precious, and she held fast to her vigil, imparting knowledge and understanding with the utmost devotion. The most complex spells were broken down into their simplest components, and she patiently taught her charges to weave them together like a tapestry of magic, with precision and grace.

As the present moment unfolded before her, Isobel found herself completing a momentous task alongside Professor Lupin. Together, they had just concluded the final lesson of the term, and it had been a triumph. Through their tireless efforts, they had imparted yet another wondrous spell and its corresponding counterspell to their eager students, infusing their minds with the secrets of the arcane.

As the final words were spoken and the last gestures were made, Isobel felt a sense of accomplishment wash over her. She had contributed to the flourishing of young minds, planting seeds of wisdom that would grow and bear fruit for years to come.

"Alright, class dismissed," with a gentle and authoritative voice, Remus Lupin announced the conclusion of their lesson. As his words echoed through the room, the students eagerly gathered their belongings and began to depart. A flurry of motion and excitement filled the air, as they hurriedly filed out, eager to explore the world beyond the classroom walls.

Remus too, watched with a sense of satisfaction as his charges scurried off, their minds still buzzing with the knowledge he had imparted, and as the last of the students departed, he let out a soft sigh, basking in the peace and quiet of the almost empty classroom.

With the classroom now empty and the excitement of the day's lesson still lingering in the air, Isobel allowed herself a moment of quiet contemplation. She gazed out of the window, watching as the last rays of sunlight illuminated the room in a soft glow.

Lost in the reverie of the moment, Isobel slid onto the top of one of the tables and sat down on it gracefully, her movements imbued with a sense of quiet elegance.

"Another success, I would say," she mused softly, her voice a gentle murmur in the peaceful silence of the room. The words were almost a whisper, spoken with a sense of reverence for the magic of the moment.

"You are right," agreed Remus.

As the quiet settled in and the classroom began to feel empty, Isobel and Remus found themselves caught up in a lively conversation. Their words filled the air, replacing the silence with the easy banter of two old friends. They spoke of their classes, their students, and the ebb and flow of life within the walls of the school.

In the midst of their discussion, Isobel found herself curious about how Remus had come to accept his current post. It was not that she minded, but rather she was intrigued by the workings of fate that had brought them both to this place. She knew the man, not intimately, but she had encountered him before, along with Sirius and Regulus Black. The three of them had been friends with her sister during their time at Hogwarts, while Isobel had been formally exiled to Ilvermorny. But even so, when she occasionally sneaked into the Hogwarts grounds, with a little help, she met them.

As the conversation continued to flow, Remus found himself consumed by a sudden curiosity. His mind wandered back to a time long ago, to a person who had once been an integral part of their lives.

"I've been meaning to ask," he began, his voice soft with contemplation. Isobel turned her gaze to him, sensing the shift in his demeanour. "Whatever happened to Adora?" he asked, his words laced with a tinge of sadness. "Nobody seems to talk about her anymore, not even when I asked Professor McGonagall - I am sorry, the force of habit, - Minerva. She just brushed off the topic."