Chapter 4: Through a Glass Darkly

Eddie walks into headquarters and notices Winnie at her desk. "Winnie, what's the word?" he smiles.

"Spike says you've moved your workout gear into the nursery" Winnie answers, and Eddie laughs.

"Yeah, a couple extra hours with Izzie as opposed to watching the boss sweat?" Eddie jokes.

"Oh, let me guess, she had oatmeal?" Winnie questions, causing Eddie to look towards her confused. Winnie then shakes her head and laughs.

"Okay, then" Eddie begins.

"I was asking about Alex and those files" he explains, and she sits down at her chair and nods.

"Yeah, I know. But, what's the fun in that?" Winnie questions, and Eddie looks down at the floor, shaking his head and smiling.

"But, to answer your question. It's been about two weeks since she asked me for them. She seems a little preoccupied" Winnie explains, as she points towards the briefing room. Eddie looks in the direction and notices Alex smiling down at her phone as she continues to text someone.

"Spike?" Eddie questions looking back towards Winnie.

"I don't think so," Winnie admits, before Eddie looks back towards Alex, questioning who she could be texting.

Eddie hears Spike, Sam, and Greg all laughing as he sits down on a bench in the locker room and he looks back at them questionably. "Checked out that weapons ID site last night --I liked the patterning" Eddie says, causing them all to jump slightly, not knowing he was there.

"Yeah, it gives impact patterns on virtually any kind of cartridge" Eddie continues, as he opens his locker and hears them laugh again.

"Did you guys tell him yet?" Jules asks, as she walks into the room.

"What?" Eddie asks, turning around to look towards them.

"Buddy, you got baby spit-up all over your back" Greg advises with a smile.

"You want me to impact-pattern that for you?" Spike asks, causing Sam to burst out laughing as Eddie looks over his shoulder at his jacket.

"Well, it looks like it came from an eighty degree angle," Eddie says proudly.

"High velocity," Sam says.

"Yeah, that's my girl," Eddie smiles.

"Where's Wordy?" he then asks.

"Called his house, but Shel said he, uh, left a couple hours ago" Greg advises, before he walks out of the locker room.

About twenty minutes later Eddie walks back into the locker room and notices Wordy quickly changing into his uniform. "What's going on? Where you been?" Eddie questions curiously.

"I was, ah, working on the basement, lost track of time" Wordy says as a pill falls from his locker and he quickly picks it up and places it underneath a towel, back in his locker.

"Basement, huh?" Eddie asks slowly.

"Heard you forgot burp cloth this morning" Wordy says, changing the subject.

"Never really bonded until you've been puked on'' Wordy adds, with an awkward laugh before the alarm sounds through the PA.

Wordy then closes his locker and makes sure that it locks before he pats Eddie's arm and smiles. "Better move" he says, running out of the locker room, leaving Eddie to look at his locker questionably.

"Eye-witness, 911, a woman in her forties, and a teen-aged girl were dragged into a late model blue van at gunpoint at Bathurst and Harbord" Winnie explains as Wordy and Eddie walk up towards the rest of the team.