the heart thief - |14|

Roman

══════⊹⊱≼≽⊰⊹══════

We strode briskly through the bustling street, and Millie's excitement was tangible as we headed toward the NFL game. The roar of the crowd could be heard from blocks away, and with each step closer to the stadium, I could sense her heart racing faster. I was thrilled she was here; even if Shane hadn't invited her, I would have asked her to come.

As we neared the entrance, we could see the massive throng of people streaming into the stadium, all adorned in the colors of their favorite teams. The smell of grilled hot dogs and sizzling burgers wafted through the air, intermingling with the sounds of vendors hollering and fans cheering. I reached out and took Millie's hand, our fingers entwining. It surprised her, causing her to turn her head and stare at me.

"So I don't lose you," I mouthed, aware that my words would be drowned out by the noise. She smiled and nodded before looking away, giving me the perfect chance to freak out. My eyes widened a little, and my chest began to pound like a mouse on a wheel. But fuck if I didn't feel a rush of adrenaline holding her hand, or the feeling of how soft and warm the texture of her skin was against mine, and I realised there was nothing wrong with holding her hand. I was merely ensuring we stayed together in the crowd, which was a sensible explanation that I liked.

We made our way through the crowd and ascended the stairs to our suite. I could feel the energy of the stadium pulsing around us, the electric atmosphere charging the air. Millie exchanged excited glances with me as we arrived at the door. It was her first game, so I was going to let her have the best experience ever.

The luxury suite was a sight to behold, with plush, comfortable seating and a breathtaking view of the field below. Flat-screen TVs adorned the walls and framed pictures of past games and the team's legendary moments added to the decor. A fully stocked bar offered a wide variety of drinks and snacks. The room was decorated with Shane's team's colors and logos, and the seats were made of soft leather, accented with the Cowboy's colors. One of the seats, however, was occupied by a slumbering Isaac, slumped against the chair.

"Is he sleeping?" Millie inquired with amusement as she approached him. "Did you know he was back?"

"Not really," I responded, accepting two drinks from a waiter. "He likely came straight from the airport."

"Poor guy," she remarked.

I chuckled and joined her, handing her one of the glasses. "Poor guy? He should have known better than to come to the game after a flight. No need to feel sorry for him."

We gazed down at Isaac, whose face was hidden beneath a cap. I removed the cap, revealing that he was indeed sound asleep. Perfect. I nudged his chair, causing him to jolt awake and stare at me in shock.

"You bastard," he grumbled, his voice groggy from sleep.

I chuckled. "This isn't the place to catch some sleep."

Isaac groaned, sitting upright in his chair. He rubbed his eyes and yawned before realizing Millie was standing there.

"Hi, Mills."

She gave a small wave of her hand. "Sorry, I didn't stop him from waking you up."

"Don't worry about it. I'm used to him being an ass." He shot me a withering glare.

I motioned for Millie to take a seat and asked, "When did you get back?" as I sat down next to Isaac, with her on my other side.