the heart thief - |24|

Millie

══════⊹⊱≼≽⊰⊹══════

The three of us huddled together in the middle of the living room. It had been a couple of hours since I temporarily moved in. With three guest rooms available in the house, I carefully selected the one farthest from Roman's room.

After returning from my apartment, Isaac insisted on showing me around the house, even though I had been there several times before. It did help ease my mind, though, knowing Roman was soundly asleep in his room. However, things took an unexpected turn when he woke up and called for a meeting. Both Isaac and I were puzzled, and that's how we found ourselves huddled in the living room. Roman exchanged a glance with Isaac before handing him a folded paper.

"What's this?" Isaac asked, reaching for the paper and unfolding it. He read aloud, "House rules." A snort escaped his lips as he glanced up. "Why do we need house rules as if we're kids?"

"Millie and I don't," Roman replied, pausing for emphasis. "This is specifically for you."

"Wait, you're telling me I'm the only one who is getting house rules?" he exclaimed, disbelief evident in his voice. "What the hell? Let me see that." He grabbed the paper from his hand and proceeded to review its contents. "No walking around naked," he read out loud, then looked up at Roman with a puzzled expression. "When have you ever seen me walking around naked?"

"It's a precautionary measure," Roman countered.

"If I haven't done it before, why would I start now?" He directed his gaze towards me. "Why isn't Millie getting these rules? Why am I the only one being targeted here? And why aren't you setting rules for yourself?"

Roman's face had been the picture of amusement and satisfaction throughout their little exchange. "It's my house and I set the rules," he stated matter-of-factly.

Isaac rolled his eyes before examining the paper once more, his voice now laced with mockery. "Don't leave clothes lying around, do the dishes, don't make a mess of everything — wait, this is ridiculous. I'm a neat freak. My underwear is cleaner than your skin."

I couldn't help but stifle a laugh, finding the rules just as absurd as he did. It was a humorous attempt to provoke him, though Isaac had yet to realize it.

Roman scoffed. "Do you have any idea what kind of soap I use?"

"No, Roman, because I don't live with you, and I've never been in your bathroom," Isaac replied sarcastically.

"I'm just saying, my products are high-quality and limited edition. You can't compare it to your bloody underwear."

"Fucking hell, are you trying to show off to my face? Everyone here uses expensive products," He paused, both of them turning their attention to me. Isaac added with a smirk, "Well, maybe except for Millie."

I scoffed, not taking any offense to his comment. After all, he hadn't meant it in a malicious way, and I simply didn't care to engage in an argument about the quality or expensiveness of the products I used. The ongoing debate between them was eye rolling, but I understood that Roman had been deliberately pushing Isaac's buttons ever since we moved in. It made me wonder if his behavior stemmed from Isaac confiding in me about his personal issues or if it had something to do with me moving in.

"Isaac, If you're going to complain about my rules, then you can move out and find a new place."

Isaac let out an exasperated sigh, his irritation evident. He waved his hands dismissively, his frustration clear in his voice. "Seriously? You're not actually kicking me out, are you? And leave Millie alone with you? No way."