the heart thief - |22|

Millie

══════⊹⊱≼≽⊰⊹══════

           The day of the presentation arrived, which fired up my nerves. I could feel the nerves mingling with excitement as I prepared myself mentally for the challenge ahead. I hadn't seen Alex yet, but I knew he was here. Not seeing him made me wonder what he could be doing, but it didn't matter. I needed to focus my attention on the presentation that I worked my ass off on, and not even Roman knew about the contents. We made a pact that we'd not discuss the competition so I wouldn't feel like I was cheating and he wouldn't act unfairly.

           I was making my way to the conference room to make sure everything was set up when a hand gently touched my arm, pulling me around a corner and away from prying eyes. I was pressed against the wall but was immediately relieved to see Roman.

           His voice, velvety and quiet, broke the silence. "Morning."

           I grinned. "Morning. What are you doing here?"

           "I want to wish you good luck."

           My heart fluttered at his words, and an electric current seemed to surge between us, enveloping the corner in a cloak of intensity. Our eyes remained locked. My gaze involuntarily traced the contours of Roman's lips, the temptation to bridge the distance between us almost unbearable. But the unspoken rule, the invisible barrier that kept our desires at bay, held me captive.

           With a tender smile, Roman inched closer, his hand brushing against my cheek as he tucked a stray strand of hair behind my ear. The simple gesture sent a jolt of electricity down my spine, igniting a cascade of emotions within me.

           "I believe in you, Millie," he whispered, his voice a velvet caress. "Go out there and show them what you're capable of. I'll be rooting for you."

           I nodded, my voice caught in my throat. The electricity between us was palpable, but we both knew that now was not the time nor place for further exploration. With a lingering gaze, I mustered a grateful smile.

           "Thank you."

           Soft lips pressed against my cheek before I realized what was happening. When my breath caught, Roman had already slipped away, leaving me with a hammering heart. I touched where he had kissed me, feeling the print he left there; it tingled, like a brush of a feather across my cheek. Then I touched my lips, imagining what his would feel like against mine. Would it feel like a brush of feathers or a stamp of burning coal? Absently, I turned around and pressed my back against the wall.

           I glanced at my watch, realizing that the presentation would start in just a few short minutes. I took a deep breath, calming my racing heart, and reminded myself of the hours of preparation I had dedicated to my hotel concept. I couldn't let myself down.

           As I made my way to the conference room, I couldn't help but notice the confident aura surrounding Alex. He exuded an air of self-assurance, exchanging last-minute words with our coworkers, his eyes determined. I looked away and continued walking.

           The conference room was filled with anticipation as everyone took their seats at the front. I found my place among the other applicants, each waiting for their turn to showcase their hotel concepts. Roman was the last person to enter the room, but he didn't make eye contact when he settled in his seat. It was understandable. We were not trying to alert everyone of our relationship, and I didn't look at him anymore.