the heart thief - |26|

Millie

══════⊹⊱≼≽⊰⊹══════

As the final stage of the competition approached, excitement and nerves stirred within me. I realized that this challenge would truly test my limits. Leading a team was both thrilling and daunting, especially people I've never worked with before, which made it more challenging trying to figure out how we would all worked individually and as a group.

In the days leading up to the project, my team and I brainstormed tirelessly. I buried myself in research, scouring through urban development case studies and sustainability best practices. The initial stages were chaotic, with everyone speaking over one another and certain tasks left incomplete, leading to misunderstandings. I could barely hold on and almost quit, but I had gone too far to give up now. As the team leader, I felt a weight on my shoulders. It was a new territory for me. I was used to the research team. At least, we understood each other without saying a word. We knew how we worked and did our best to maintain balance. But either way, I had to remember why I was doing this in the first place.

Thanksgiving seemed like a distant dream as the competition deadline drew near. The pressure and workload intensified each day, and I found myself immersed in back-to-back meetings with planners and community representatives. But as Thanksgiving approached, the stress amplified. Balancing the competition's demands with the holiday season was stressful. In the past, mum and I would plan a week ahead, enjoying joint shopping trips followed by spa days, but this time, the demands of the competition barely allowed me to text her back.

The office, however, was loud with excitement and anticipation. The project was nearing completion, and weeks of hard work was within reach. I could see the pride in my team's eyes as we presented our master plan and showcased our vision. When it was over, I was relieved and exhausted.

The day before Thanksgiving, I stayed over at my parent's house. Roman texted me. He was nervous, even though I told him he had nothing to worry about. Mum was eagerly looking forward to meeting him, setting aside any other concerns. She had asked if he was my boyfriend, to which I remained tight-lipped. I didn't say anything, but she assumed he was an important guest, so she wanted to impress him and make sure he had the best, memorable Thanksgiving. It was an unusual sight to see her so thrilled to be suspicious.

Roman was supposed to arrive at six, but he came a little earlier because he was scared to be late and give mum a bad first impression. This was a big step, and he wanted everything to go perfectly.

When he reached my parent's house, he texted me that he was outside, but mum had already swung the door open and enveloped him in a warm hug. Catching my gaze over her shoulder, Roman's tension seemed to disappear instantly. Dad extended a firm handshake accompanied by a cordial smile.

"Mama, please let him breathe a little." I chuckled.

"Oh, hush, this is the first time you've brought a man home. Allow me to gush," she replied, waving me off with a mischievous glint in her eyes. It almost seemed like she couldn't believe he was actually standing there. At some point, she probably doubted I was serious about bringing someone for Thanksgiving dinner.

"You have a beautiful home, Mrs. Jensen," Roman politely spoke. "And the smell? Millie told me you're an excellent chef. I didn't doubt her for a moment."

Mum gasped, delighted by the compliment. She adored when people praised her cooking. "Oh, you don't have to impress me, Roman. I was sold the minute I opened the door and saw you." She playfully hooked her arm through his, leading him toward the dining table where she had everything set up. Dad stood beside me, and we both watched her fuss over Roman with amusement.