the heart thief - |18|

Millie

══════⊹⊱≼≽⊰⊹══════

           Saturday morning, I sat in the seating area of the mall, my heart raced with anticipation. I nervously glanced around, checking the time on my phone every few seconds. My gaze drifted to the crowd passing by, and my thoughts wandered to the man I was waiting for. I brushed a strand of hair behind my ear and adjusted my posture, trying to calm my nerves. My mind was flooded with thoughts of what I should say when he arrives. Will I come across as confident, or will my nerves get the best of me?

           The soft chatter of people around me provided some comfort, and I took a deep breath, trying to focus on the present moment. I watched as families with young children stroll by, their laughter and joy infectious. As I waited, my eyes keep darting around the area, scanning for any sign of him. I played with a loose strand of hair, a nervous habit I couldn't seem to shake off. The seconds ticked by agonizingly slow, each passing moment increasing my anxiety.

           Suddenly, out of the corner of my eye, I saw a familiar figure approaching. I could feel my heart rate increasing as he came into view. My heart jumped into my throat. I felt a rush of mixed emotions, including excitement and nervousness. His casual outfit, a simple t-shirt and jeans that hugged his muscular legs, seemed to highlight his confident and laid-back demeanor. His brown hair was styled in a way that gave him an effortlessly cool look, as if he didn't have to try to look good.

           As Roman approached me, I could feel my nerves start to dissipate. His charming smile spread across his face, making my heart skip a beat. The sight of him was both comforting and exhilarating, leaving me breathless. His hazel eyes, with flecks of green and brown, seem to sparkle as he came closer. They were deep and intense, capturing my gaze with their warmth.

           He settled into the seat across from me, his eyes wandering around the surroundings, seemingly curious as to why I had asked him to meet me here. But he didn't seem inclined to question it, prompting me to quickly offer an explanation.

           "I thought it would be best to meet on neutral ground," I began, my words rushing out. Roman regarded me with an amused expression, clearly intrigued. "At the mall?" he quipped, his tone laced with amusement.

           Leaning back in my seat, I crossed my arms, a feeble attempt to quell the nervous energy coursing through me. "I guess it may not be the most ideal location," I admitted, averting my gaze momentarily. "But I thought that meeting in this place would impose some sort of... restrictions."

           His laughter filled the air, drawing my attention back to him. "Restrictions? Like what?" he asked, his eyes sparkling with curiosity.

           With a casual shrug, I replied, trying to maintain composure. "I don't know, but I felt it would be fitting considering the recent developments. I wanted to invite you out to clear the air between us," I explained, mustering a smile despite the overwhelming desire to disappear.

           "So, how should I approach this meeting?" Roman quipped, his voice laced with amusement as he leaned back, his chin resting on his fist. "As your friend, your matchmaker, or your boss?" His gaze remained fixed on me, a mischievous smile playing on his lips. Maybe he found my nervousness entertaining, or maybe he was teasing me to ease the tension in the air.

           When I called him out, I had prepared a five-page explanation in my mind, along with a potential apology for talking shit about him. Though I couldn't recall the exact words I had spoken, the knowledge that I had talked negatively about my boss to my boss left me cringing inwardly.