the heart thief - |19|

Millie

══════⊹⊱≼≽⊰⊹══════

I sat at my desk, attempting to focus on my work, but the mysterious email and its implications consumed my thoughts. It was as if an invisible thread tethered my mind to it, refusing to let me move on. My fingers tapped restlessly on the keyboard, my gaze drifting to the phone beside me. I had been trying to reach my mom, convinced that she was somehow involved in the matchmaking membership. But with each unanswered call, my anxiety grew, mingling with a sense of frustration.

The persistent hounding of emails from the matchmaking company was irritating. The pressure was relentless and annoying. They flooded my inbox with messages urging me to schedule a meet-up, promising the chance to find love and meaningful connections.

I stole glances at my phone, praying for a message or call from my mom that would shed light on the situation. Lately, she had been busy, or at least that's the story she wanted me to believe. Maybe she knew I'd be pissed off and was intentionally avoiding me. Dad was busy with his tour, so I didn't want to bother him with this.

Unable to withstand the distraction any longer, I closed my computer, surrendering to the turmoil that had taken hold of my thoughts. It was clear that I couldn't find peace until I confronted this matter head-on. Gathering my stuff, I made my way towards the elevator, the weight of unanswered questions heavy on my shoulders.

As the elevator opened, I was surprised to see Roman inside. "Hey, Millie," he greeted me with a smile. "Where are you off to in such a hurry?"

I hesitated for a moment, contemplating whether to share my current situation with him. But I couldn't tell him the truth. Why would I? It wasn't something that concerned him. The fact that he was still my matchmaker was a topic that remained unaddressed between us. We seemed to navigate our interactions with caution now, as if an invisible barrier had materialized, fostering an atmosphere of guardedness.

I offered a faint smile, my attempt to conceal the storm of emotions raging inside me. "Just heading downstairs to grab a drink," I replied, deliberately vague in the hopes of keeping the truth from him. Now that I thought about it, storming out of work to go to a matchmaking company was impulsive and unprofessional as hell. Maybe I do need a minute to cool off.

His expression softened, a glimmer of warmth in his eyes. "You know you don't have to go all the way over there. I have a coffee machine in my office," he offered.

His unexpected invitation caught me off guard, sending a jolt of excitement through my veins. I wrestled with conflicting desires, torn between maintaining the pretense of friendship and surrendering to the pull between us. But a mischievous streak compelled me to tease him, to playfully challenge the boundaries we had set.

Crossing my arms, I leaned back against the wall, a playful glint in my eyes. "Oh, Mr. Harley," I retorted, a playful lilt to my voice. "Is it appropriate to invite your employee to your office for a drink? What if you spoil me too much, and I become accustomed to such luxuries?"

His eyes sparkled with amusement, a playful grin tugging at his lips. "Well, Ms. Jensen," he replied, matching my tone, "I suppose I'll have to risk it. Besides, I enjoy your company, even if it means spoiling you a little."

The flirting between us danced like an electric current, the unspoken tension beneath our playful words simmering just beneath the surface. In that moment, the boundaries of our relationship blurred, and a rush of anticipation mingled with the lingering secrets we both held.