I. The Reaping

°•°•[The Reaping]•°•°

JULIA BROWN was sitting on the grass in District 3. She was watching birds in the distance, and her blue eyes were fixated on them. She always liked doing that, even when she was younger, though she loved the sea more then. Julia would always sit on the beach or on the meadow in the little free time she had, in between her school, working in factory and taking care of everyone.

Tomorrow will be her last reaping, and after that, she'll be to old to enter it. Usually, her name, Julia Brown, should be in the bowl only seven times, one for each reaping she participated in. But her name is in forty seven times, because she is taking tesserae so she could feed some orphans in District 3. Her and few more older kids were doing that to get some extra food. 

There was a lot orphans in the technology district, the District 3 was second in Panem, after District 8, and not all of orphans stuck together. Tesserae wasn't too high in Three, though. Peacekeepers would not let the kids to prepare themselves for the Games, but they let them get away with stealing way more often than they should. Victors of the District bought them food, too. And every child in Three started working at the age of 12, so they earned some of their own money. 

Julia and her friends lived together in big abandoned house on the edge of the District, and helped each other in every way possible. Other orphans lived in groups around the district, in similar places, and all of them often fought around food or living place. They were all like little bands, and most of them knew how to cook, or fight in one on one combat. Some of them even knew how to use weapons, Julia included. Each band stuck together, but after some time, children grew into adults and they feel apart, every one of them moving on with their own life. They earned enough money to start their own life's, but someone always stayed.

All of them were treated equally as the children that had parents, mostly at least. They got they intelligence measured when ten, and it was expected for everyone to get above 105, but almost everyone had more. After they turned twelve, they started working at factories along going to school. Their jobs in factories was based of their intelligence and ideas. But the main job for everyone who worked in factories was to make high - tech products for Capitol that somebody else came up with, or that Capitol needed, perhaps for the Games. If to anyone has occurred by new idea, he or she are required to report it to their boss and work on it. 

"What are you doing?" Julia's little sister, Amber, sat down next to Julia. She took a blade of grass in her fingers and spun in between her fingers. 

"Thinking," Julia answered, her eyes still fixed in the distance. Amber was still eleven, she didn't have to worry about being reaped. 

"About what?" 

"Nothing special. You don't have to worry about anything, Amber." 

"Io says dinner is ready."

Julia got up. "Let's go, then." 

Two of them started walking towards their house. Walk wasn't long, and they were there soon. In the house, there were dozens of kids sitting on the floor and eating soup from the bowls. Much of stuff they had had been stolen or given to them by victors from their District, Beetee Latier, Wirress and Xavier Prescott. 

Beetee had been won the 39th Games by electrocuting his opponents, Wirress had won ten years later by staying hidden until she was ready to pull the same stunt Beetee had did prior. Xavier been had won last, the 66th Games, which took place three years ago, when he volunteered in his brother's place. Unfortunately, his brother, Zeno, had been reaped next year, nobody had volunteered in his place and he had died. Julia always believed that the reaping was rigged for Zeno's name to be taken out of the bowl.