Prouloge

JULIA BROWN WAS living a really messed up life. She was never more than an ordinary orphan for most of her life. Her parents had died when she was seven in a factory accident, leaving her with her baby sister, Amber. It was never good for a seven - year - old to raise a baby, and in a world like theirs, where everyone is fighting to survive at all cost, it was something that could have killed them. 

Fortunately, it didn't.

Unfortunately, they had to live on the streets with other parentless kids, survive at all cost, more than anyone with their parents alive. 

Julia became desperate to keep Amber happy for long as possible, and she did for eleven long years, trying to secure her and other orphans in their group a better life, how much it was possible in their country, Panem, where every year a depressing event was held. 

Its name is The Hunger Games. In them, a male and a female tribute from each of the twelve districts compete in the arena. The thing is, only one of them can exit the arena alive, and they earned glory and money for their district. 

The Capitol, their capital city of Panem, made them to participate in it to remind them of the rebellion and keep them from making the same mistake again. 

Julia despited the Capitol for that, for making hopeless kids fight to death. But what could an orphaned girl like her even do? She was nobody to change the system, she could do nothing, and her life was going so far so good for someone like her. It wasn't a peaceful life, working in the factories and going to school while trying to provide a good life to as many orphans as she could. She tried to do something, but it was obvious that she was helpless. 

Her biggest fear was some of her friends' names being pulled out of the bowl and them being sent to the Games. It did happen, on the day of Reaping for 66th Hunger Games. Xavier Prescott, one of Julia's best friends, volunteer instead of his brother Zeno to go into the Games. Julia feared that he would never come back from the Capitol, that the last time she'll see him was dying on live TV, but he came back. He came back, but the experience changed him forever, and he was never the same again. Xavier still helped him old friends as much as he could, but he was too traumatised to be too close to them, so they fell apart. Julia never fully understood why. 

Until her last reaping, Julia thought there was nothing she could do, and she didn't understand Xavier. But then, when her name was called, she realised there was something she could do, and that was to win. Then, she wouldn't be nobody anymore, people would care about her an listen to her, maybe willing to change. Maybe she would be able to change something. And maybe, she would understand Xavier. 

And she tried her best to survive and win. To give hope to people without it until someone with more luck than her came to start a rebellion, to change things in Panem. 

Julia Brown won even though all odds said she couldn't do it. She won even though the unfairness of her skills and experience. She won against Careers, tributes twice as big of strong as her, she won against all odds. 

Julia Brown did something than only few did. She won against the unfair odds, but that survival had a bitter price, and she finally understood her friend.