chapter 2

Chicago, USA

9 years later

I sat at my desk at the McDonalds corporate headquarters, typing away at my computer. Working in the department dedicated to the international locations, I oversaw what new countries we were expanding to, as well as how to change McDonalds restaurants to suit the different people they catered to.

How did I even get here, to America? I looked out the window, at the cars and the skyscrapers and the restaurant and store signs, all in English, not Korean. My life has been an interesting one, for sure.

*Flashback*

After the painful rejection, I finished out high school in my hometown. I never heard from Jungkook again, and I never bothered to search up BTS online because I was too scared to face the fact that I could have been one of them, if only I had worked harder. I started college, but that's when I started to hear more and more about BTS as they gained popularity. By the end, I would hear my classmates mentioning the group every single day.

"They're so perfect, it's crazy."

"I'm going to the BTS concert, soooo excited!"

"They are my role models! Especially Jungkook, he's amazing!"

I couldn't take it anymore. The constant reminders of my failure. I started looking for jobs overseas that would accept me. It didn't hurt that my dad was an English professor, so I grew up speaking English and Korean. One day, I stumbled across a job listing for an entry-level position at McDonalds corporate headquarters in America. Remembering my love for their french fries, I filled out the application and, impressed by my grades that I kept high as well as my resume, they hired me! I could not wait to get as far away from Korea and BTS as possible.

I rapidly climbed up the corporate ladder, making my way to one of the top positions of the international department! Now I live quite comfortably.

*Flashback ends*

A certain set of footsteps I memorized clacked louder and louder against the floor as they became closer. I rolled my eyes - she was here. In a loud, piercing voice, my boss Susan practically shouted my name. "Y/n. The CEO wants to see you."

I almost jumped out of my seat. Ms. McDonald, the CEO of McDonalds, one of the world's most famous and influential restaurants, wanted to see me. In a shaky voice, I responded "O-okay. Where is she?"

"Follow me" Susan said curtly, then turned around and started walking away before could even get out of my swivel chair. I ran towards the elevator, getting inside right before the doors closed. Watching the floor numbers on the screen slowly tick up, I wondered what exactly the CEO wanted from me. Was I getting fired? Was I not productive enough? Did she really believe Susan when she claimed I was looking at my social media instead of working? It was my messages, actually.

Finally, we reached the top floor. I stepped aside so Susan could get out first. This was a habit I had to develop because once when I tried to get off the elevator first with Susan inside, she shoved right past me and gave me a glare that could make even the most talkative theater kid at your school shut up. We continued walking down the hall, stopping at the door at the end labeled "CEO's OFFICE." Susan knocked on the door and then walked away, leaving me to wait by myself. Meanwhile, the longest 30 seconds of my life passed before the door opened again, revealing a shorter, gray-haired woman in a crisp blue pantsuit. "Are you y/n?"

"Yes, it's me."

"Great" she smiled. "Come on in."

I looked around the CEO office. All around the room were windows providing breathtaking views of the Chicago cityscape. Willis Tower distinctively rose above the other buildings and commanded the landscape. One of the other windows had a view of Lake Michigan, an endless pool of light stretching as far as the eye could see and blending in almost perfectly with the blue sky. In the center of the room was a low table surrounded on 3 sides by 3 leather couches, with a glass vase filled with daffodils on top.

"Have a seat, y/n" offered Ms. McDonald, taking a seat on one side of the table. I sat down at the other side.

"So," Ms. McDonald started. "You're probably wondering why I called you into my office today."

"Yes, ma'am," I replied.

"Well, it's not because you're in trouble. In fact, it's quite the opposite! I am excited about a new project we at McDonalds have started, and I thought that you should be the first one I tell."

I let out a sigh of relief. "What's the project?"

Ms. McDonald leaned over to the other side of the table, getting closer to me. "Have you ever heard of BTS?"

The relief in me was completely blotted out with apprehension. What did BTS, the group I spent the last 9 years of my life trying to run away from, have to do with McDonalds? And why was I hearing about this first? I replied, "Yes, I have." Because they were the group I was rejected from.

"Amazing! We will be collaborating with them for a 'BTS meal' that McDonalds will sell, based on their personal preference! Each member will add their favorite menu item to the meal, and we will even shoot an entire commercial! Doesn't that sound exciting?"

"Y-yes, of course." No, it's yet another thing they get to have that I don't.

"Which leads me to my next point." Ms. McDonald grinned, pointing at me. "Y/n, I would like you to be in charge of this project!"

My jaw dropped. "W-why m-me?"

"Because you're the only McDonalds corporate member in a top position who grew up in Korea and speaks fluent Korean! Also, the members of BTS can relate to you since you're around the same age as them. Picking you as the main representative of McDonalds will make sure that this project runs as smoothly as possible!"

I took a long moment to think. Was I mentally ready to face the trauma I had bottled up deep down inside of me for years? Could I even look at the BTS members in person, especially Jungkook, without breaking down in tears again, just like that day 9 years ago?

Finally, I took a deep breath. "I'm sorry, Ms. McDonald, but I don't think I'm capable of running such an important program. I have only worked here for 4 years, and I have almost no experience compared to you and the more senior members of McDonalds. I appreciate you asking me to do this, I really do, but I think it's best if you give this opportunity to someone else." I got up and was almost out the door when Ms. McDonald cleared her throat.

"Y/n, how does this sound? Do you know your boss, Susan?" Intrigued, I turned around.

"Y-yes."

"Well, I've received many complaints recently about how she has created a toxic environment for her workers. She also is less productive than I want her to be. I always see her with her nose in other peoples' business and not doing her work. So I'm thinking about demoting her. If you decide to lead this program, and it runs smoothly, that will make a strong case for me to promote you, y/n. You could have her position!"

The sadness, loss, and fear I felt were replaced with white-hot anger. I thought about how Susan would push past me in the elevator, how she would micromanage everything I did, how she would scowl at me everytime I had my phone on the table, even if it was flipped over and turned off. I remembered her monologues about how this "new generation" only cared about their phones, each time one of her employees dared to check their messages. I remembered how insufferable, annoying, and downright disrespectful she was.

Then I envisioned myself getting the promotion, seeing her shocked, disbelieving face as she gets demoted. I envisioned the immense amount of pride, success, and happiness I would feel. My mouth spread into a large smile. "Ms. McDonald, thank you so much. I accept your offer to lead this project!"

Ms. McDonald practically jumped off the couch. "Yes! You made the right choice, y/n! You leave for Seoul in 3 days."

I gulped. All I had to do was see some familiar faces. It would be okay. I would survive this. It wouldn't be too hard, right?