chapter 10

The small house I had grown up in stood directly in front of me. I took a deep breath and pressed the doorbell next to the metal gate blocking the driveway. Footsteps became louder and louder, and the gate creaked open. Standing there was my little sister, Jihye, who I haven't seen in years!

"Y/n!" Jihye leaped into my arms.

"I missed you too, Dani!" I used the nickname I gave her, hugging her back.

Dani and I have a 10-year age gap, so when I was a trainee, I was gone for some of her first memories. But when I was with her, we would play tea party together and I would gladly make up fake scenarios with her for her dozens of dolls. Now she was a teenager and looked so different, but she was still definitely the same adorable, happy person I had left years ago.

I took a deep breath and followed Dani into the house and down the hallway until we came to the dining table, where my parents were already seated.

"Hello, umma and appa."

My mother got up from her chair and gave me a hug, and my father greeted me. "Hello, y/n. Welcome home."

I nodded. "Thank you," I managed to say. I didn't buy their show for a second. As soon as I sat down, I knew they would begin interrogating me about my life. Dani and I sat in our chairs and began silently eating our meal. I waited for the questions to start coming.

Finally, my father asked, "Did you gain a C-suite position at the McDonalds corporation yet?"

"No," I responded. After years of having to deal with them, I've gotten used to saying one-word answers.

My father shook his head. "Well, what did you do in the three years you've been away?"

"I-I have a respectable position in the international locations department."

My mother spoke up. "It would be respectable if you were in the C-suite."

I bit down on my gum. Did they know just how hard I had worked to get where I am? I guess not.

"Why did you come back to Korea again? You never told us," said my father.

"Well, McDonalds is working on a really important project right now involving Korea, and they asked me to come back."

My mother scoffed. "Well, you should have come back sooner. Do you know how much your father and I have given you all our life? You're nothing without us. And you choose to leave for 3 years and not come back to see us? You are so ungrateful and disrespectful. And selfish. You should be ashamed of yourself."

My blood boiled. This was the whole reason why I hadn't come back.

"You know the neighbor's son? He's so successful. Right now he's doing-"

"SHUT UP!" I slapped the table, knocking over my bowl of rice. Everyone went silent, but Dani had a smirk on her face. She hated our parents as much as I did.

My father stood up from his seat and pointed at me. "Don't say that to your mother. Apologize right now!"

I stood up and met his eyes. "Okay. I'm sorry I have such horrible parents. All my life I have done everything I could to make you guys proud of me. I have been so hard-working and you don't understand how much I have gone through to be able to hear you say that I'm a good son. That's all I ever wanted. But you just don't care. And I never asked to be born! I never asked to even be here! So you have no right to say that you provided for me so I have to treat you the same way. Do you even hear yourselves?"

My mother's face turned beet red. "Get out of our house! And don't expect us to ever talk to you again unless you come back here with a full apology."

"You didn't have to tell me twice!" I grinned and walked towards the door, but turned around. "And one more thing. I'm bisexual! I bet you didn't see that coming, huh?"

I shut the door as both my parents started screaming. For the first time in my life, I felt truly free.