Chapter 3

The next day

Justus Rhage

   "That's the last of it." I put all my stuff in the trunk of my car. I felt all eyes on me as i cleaned my desk off and my locker out. I should've just come during the night shift since most of everybody is gone by then. "Rhage."  I looked to see my former boss Lt. Moss. " Sir." I gave him a head nod. I would say he was a good boss, Minus the fact he works closely with Stephan they been best friends since as long i can remember, he was the best man at my mom and Stephan's wedding " So i see the rumors are true then." He looks at my stuff in the trunk. " It's too much going on right now, it's best i take the back burner for a while." I shut my trunk walking towards the driver side of my car. " I still have some of Detective McClain's belongings if you want it. " He states.  " I thought all of his stuff went to the next of kin." I replied.

" His mom sent it back. No explanation or nothing." He shrugged his shoulders. I nodded my head following him back inside the building. We go to his office and he go around his desk to pull a box from under it with Taurus's name on it. " It's not much, just some stuff he had in his locker and desk. I didn't know what to do with it when it got sent back." He past the box to me. I knew why tho. Taurus  never really had a relationship with his mother. She was always in and out of his life making his grandmother his primary caregiver. The longest she stayed was two months, after that, she was gone again. On the outside it seems he didn't care since it was routine for him. But i knew it killed him when he would get home and see his mom's things gone. 

" Thank you." I say taking the box from him. I looked at the top of the returned shipping label. 

Africa?

"You said his mother returned this.?" I asked.

"Yeah."

" Hmm...I could've sworn his mom lives in Brunswick  now." I say confused. " Well maybe she moved. I remember Detective McClain saying he had some family down there." He says. I just stood there looking confused. Taurus never told me that and we told each other everything. " Right, i totally forgot about that. Well thank you Lt." I nodded my head towards him  leaving out his office. I just kept looking at the top of the box as i walked out the building. 

BARK!,BARK!

I Jumped dropping the box as i looked over to see an officer having trouble with his K9. "Heel....i said heel." The officer roared back yanking the leash as the dog pulled back from not wanting to listen.  I bent down picking the stuff that fell out of the box. I gasped as i picked up a small box.

Oh god please tell me this isn't what i think it is.

I nervously opened it as i felt my heart beat get faster and faster by the second. " A necklace." I say half relief half disappointed. I took it out of the box looking at it fully. The chain was black and gold with a pendant of a dog head. The eyes were red rubies that seem to get brighter as you stared at it. 

BARK!,BARK!

I looked over again to see the officer pull his baton out to hit the dog. " HEY!" I yelled as i get up walking towards him. " What the hell you do think your doing?" I snatched the baton from him. " I was correcting him, now if you excuse me." He reaches for the baton to take it out of my hand which makes me yank back. " Correct him....with your baton? Apparently he is not the problem....it you."