Chapter 8

The  next day

The  next day

Adaeze

" Ugh." I grunted as i fell to the ground after being kicked in the back. " When coming down with your weapon, you bring your weight and strength behind it." Lt. Agu stated as he put his hand out towards me. " I'm aware of that." I get up from the ground not taking his hand for support grabbing my spear as I go back into my fighting stance. " Maybe we should take a break." He suggested. " Mba, anyị na-aga n'ihu" (No, we keep going.") I instructed.  " Enweghị nkwanye ùgwù General". ("No disrespect General") He bowed. " Your here physically, but mentally your far away." He continued. I sighed as i got out of my fight stance. " It that obvious eh." We walked back towards the benches. I stuck my spear in the ground sitting down taking a deep breath. I flew to the loji tribe to train hoping I would get my mind to focus...3 hours in and still nothing. " Would you like to talk about it?" He asks as the maidens came bringing us cups of water. I bowed respectfully thanking them as they took their leave.

"n'eziokwu(honestly).... I'm confused about the all-mother's blessing." I stated as I took a sip of water. "Kedu otu ọ bụ?( How so?)." He asked. " You don't believe she made the right choice?" He continued. " Not that part...Ọ họpụtara m ka m bụrụ otu n'ime ndị ga-anọchi nna m. (She appointed me as one of my Father's successors.) ......Like what does that even mean?" I sighed irritably as I thought of the words Alkebulan said to me.  What is she trying to tell me? " Maybe she meant when you marry and bare children, they will also be his success as a grandfather.......his legacy." He shrugs his shoulders.  I looked at him up and down narrowing my eyes at him. " Who said I was baring children.... did my father tell you that?" I questioned. " What...no....no I was just taking a guess, mgbaghara General. (My apologies General.)" He bowed looking nervous. " No, I'm sorry, it just I don't know what goes through his head.... he seems to wish you were his child and not me." I sighed. " No General....far from it...beside the High Priestess, your everything he hoped for." He complimented. I been knowing Chyke since we were kids. We were friends due to who our fathers are.  His father fought along aside mine when they were both generals of the Arawaneh army during their younger days. He was the total opposite of his father. 

Chief Ikem Agu of the Loji Tribe, a warrior. He wasn't a man for many words, usually he would use his hands to do the talking. When I was younger, I remember hearing from the people how he would torture the captives to get the answer we needed. I've even experience some of it when I first became a soldier. I could honestly say he was silently ruthless. All the while, Chyke was more knowledgeable and peaceful with his words when talking to our captives, never once did he ever raise a fist or weapon unless he needed to.... usually, he didn't. I guess that why his father skipped over him and appointed me as General when he stepped down. Everybody assume it was because I'm royalty, but I knew the truth. Just like how disappointed my father is in me; his father was disappointed of the fact his only son was nothing like him. And that was okay, which is why I made him my right hand. I need someone that was compassionate to our people.... Arawanehian or not.  " Well, I wished his words would match his actions." I say softly.