Chapter 8

Arthur, Prince of Wales – December 1501

Whatever were my first impressions on Catalina, I was now sure that I had been mistaken.

My wife was not affectionate in any way. She would formally greet me “Good morning husband” and “Good night, husband”, but apart from that, she never had the initiative to speak with me. The few times I had tried to start a conversation with her, she replied with monosyllables and showed no interest to hold the conversation for too long. She never invited me to her rooms; my Lady Grandmother had settled one day every week for me to formally visit the Princess, escorted by my court, put in bed with her, and in the morning, return to my rooms with the same procession. But only we knew the disaster that the nights were for us. We were not able to do it. My wife was still an untouched virgin just as she was when she arrived in England.

But of course, no one knew about it. We did not speak about that. This was meant to be a secret between us. So much that when the Christmas came, my Lady Grandmother was treating Catalina with the best pieces of the meals and extra care, preventing her from riding too much and walking for too long. She had hopes we had produced a child on our first month as a married couple, but only we knew that Catalina did not held an heir for England in her womb.

Nobody seemed to notice this. They all assumed that we were just as any other royal couple. My wife spoke only very little English, poorly pronounced under her strong Spanish accent, so the few times we’d talk it would be in French or Latin. Few people in the court could speak Latin, and even so, they were not interested to talk to her. No one wanted to speak French, after the recent disagreement we had with France and the everlasting relationship of friendship and enmity. She was left with her maids and occasionally my parents, who seemed to take interest on her.

In fact, she surely had nothing to complain; she was already treated like a Queen. One day, I saw her wearing a brand new set of sapphires around her neck and hanging on her ears, matching splendidly with her eyes and contrasting with her red hair. She also had new dresses, new coats, headdresses and even a puppy that my Father gave her. She was admired by men, who composed songs and poems in honor to her. Women envied her, and tried their best to copy her manners, gestures and style.

Only I was no longer impressed by the Spanish Infanta. Catalina always held her chin up, looked haughty at everyone, and always had an inquisitive look for me, as if she was always questioning me. I felt as if she had to merely tolerate me, and took me for a fool. But somehow, I could not defy her or do anything about it. She intimidated me in a way that left me unresponsive.

“Son, are you alright?” My mother asked me during dinner, as we were momentarily alone. My Father and my Grandmother were in a corner, engaged in a quiet conversation with De Puebla, the Spanish Ambassador .

“Yes.”

She looked at her husband’s direction. “They must be talking about yours and the Princess’ departure to Ludlow soon.”

That was my newest concern. My Father wanted to send us to Ludlow, where we would learn to rule a Principality on our own. However, he found himself divided, for his advisers would say different things. Some agreed with our departure, some urged for our staying. Dr. De Puebla had advised my wife to agree with the departure. I secretly hoped we would be allowed to stay for a couple more months.

“You don’t want to go?” my mother asked.

“Not really.” I confessed. “Mother, I am not sure…”

“Problems with Catalina?”

“Not exactly. We don’t fight. But we also…” I contained myself there. Somewhat it seemed wrong to talk about certain things with my mother.

“She is a girl, Arthur. And she is new to all this as well as you are, maybe even more, because she has to do it away from her home. Be patient, son. It might take time for the husband and the wife to get to know each other well.”

I nodded respectfully. “Yes, Lady Mother.”

“Besides, it’s not like you have not done anything to upset her.” She added.

“What are you talking about?”

“The morning after your wedding night. I’ve heard about it.”

I felt my cheeks burning with embarrassment. I might have said something not very nice after I left Catalina’s room. The fact that I did not want anyone to know I was a failure as a husband made me say something in the lines of “Gentlemen, last night, I’ve been in Spain!

“I don’t think a lady would appreciate is. Especially a Princess.” My mother continued, drinking a bit of wine. “I would like to believe I have raised you better than that, Arthur.”

“You are right, Lady Mother.” I conceded. “I will try my best.”

“You will be fine, my dear.”

Catalina stood up her chair, with her maids. She approached us and curtsied low.

“Good night, Your Majesty. Good night, husband.” She said with her heavy accent.

“I will visit your rooms tonight.” I said out loud, with a grin.

For my disappointment, she did not react. She simply curtsied low again, nodded and left with her ladies. My mother discreetly shook her head smiling.

I spent another twenty minutes in the dinner table, and then I excused myself and went to my rooms, where I got ready to visit my wife. I planned to talk to her; to listen to her, be gentle, maybe we would be happy together. That thought excited me, as I walked on my night gown, wearing only my coat on my shoulders.

But when I reached her rooms, I did not find her ready to sleep; on the contrary, she was still all dressed up, her ladies around her, they were all playing cards.

“Sire” She said, standing up and curtsying, followed by her ladies.

“Aren’t you ready for bed?”

“I would be, it is very late and the day was tiring. However, as milord announced so loudly at the dinner table that you would come to visit me, I thought it would be a public visit, not a private one.” She observed, looking at me critically, from head to toe.

I could not reply right away. All the tenderness I had built towards her the last minutes were replaced by pure anger.

“Let’s go to bed. It is rather late.” I managed to say.

She quickly dismissed her ladies and went to the other room to change clothes. I went to bed, furiously. She had dared to humiliate me in front of everyone. I looked pathetic, I was aware of that.

When Catalina came back to the room in her sleeping gown, she laid by my side, as always, and stayed still. I looked at her, rather upset.

“I really don’t see it heading anywhere, Catalina.”

She looked at me. “Sooner or later you must do your duty.”

“How can I do it when you don’t inspire desire on me at all?” I burst in frustration, before I could help myself.

I knew I had said something wrong. I knew it should not have been said. Catalina looked at me in a different way, in a way she had never looked at me.

“Let’s sleep, milord.” She finally said, turning to her side without saying goodnight.