Chapter 14

Arthur, Prince of Wales; Caernarfon Castle, Wales, England. December 22nd 1501.

As we arrived to the Caernarfon Castle, I rushed to Catalina’s litter and without thinking twice, I carried in my arms. She had still not moved.

“Lead me to the Princess’ bed chamber.” I told the wife of the Castle’s keeper, urgently. She nodded and walked fast.

As I followed her, I looked at my wife’s unconscious face, trying to move as much as I could so she could wake up. “Please God, let her be alive…

“Those are the rooms for the Princess.” The short woman said in a strong Welsh accent opening the door of the last room in the corridor.

I thanked her with a nod and quickly put Catalina covered in furs and blankets in the bed.

“Fetch for a doctor.” I ordered, and she left us alone. The room was already warm, the fire burning on the fireplace and the linen sheets put on her bed. I gently removed the fur around her face. Her face was pale as the snowflakes on her eyelids.

“Catalina…” I whispered. “Please forgive me… I was wrong…”

My wife remained still and lifeless, completely irresponsive to my words.

“Forgive me, Catalina. I was unfair to you… God forgive me, you’re only a girl and I treated you so badly…”

I touched her cold hand and kissed it. “I was supposed to take care of you… You’re my wife and I was meant to be your keeper, your protector and friend, not the man who made you suffer so much out of whim.”

I couldn’t help but to burst into tears as went on my monologue. I was only recently wedded to what I could see only now, the most beautiful Princess in Europe, and I could become a widower already. In my mind, there were the sweet letters she had sent me during our childhood, her determined and brave look, how beautiful she looked at our wedding day…

“Catalina, you can’t die!” I said loudly. “Forgive me! I love you!”

As I said that, her eyes slightly opened, letting some of the semi-melted snowflakes fall on the white pillow.

“Catalina!” I screamed, taking your hand. “You are awake! I was so worried about you…”

She opened her mouth, trying to speak, but I put my mouth on her lips.

“No, no, don’t talk.” I smiled. “I’m so glad you are awake. Please forgive me, forgive me, forgive me! I was wrong, so wrong… This will never happen again. I promise you, I will be a god husband to you. I will never treat you bad. I promise you, just please be alright.”

“Arthur…” She murmured weakly, closing her eyes again.

“Don’t say anything. Close your eyes. You will be alright, just please rest.”

Catalina obeyed me, closing her eyes again at the same time someone knocked at the door.

“Your Grace, the physician has arrived.” Maria de Salinas opened the door and curtseyed low.

“Thank you, Lady Maria.” I said. The physician entered the room quietly, bowing his head to us.

“Your Grace, may I have your permission to examine the Princess?” He asked.

“Gladly.” I replied, and kissed her hand one last time. “You will be alright. I will come back later.”

She slightly nodded and I left the bed chamber. I realised how much I had discovered at the perspective of losing Catalina. Not only I realised I had been acting wrongly towards her, I also found out that I genuinely cared about her. I did not want to see her sad or suffering, it was too much for me. Also, I did not want to lose her and be forced to marry another woman. I wanted to be married to Catalina. I wanted her to be my wife. And I wanted her to know all that.