Chapter 18

Arthur, Prince of Wales; Ludlow Castle, Wales, England. January 1st 1502.

As the physician requested, I let Catalina rest for the following days. She stayed in her chambers, had her meals in private with her servants and maids. It was the time when I stopped to notice some remarkable figures that were part of her committee. There was a talented trumpeter whose skin was just as ebony. His name was John Blanke, and he had some amusing tales from his land. I spent a few hours talking to him, and I was interested in knowing about his homeland. I knew very little about the placed that had not yet been reached by God’s hand, but John was converted and a very educated man.

Maria de Salinas was a delightful young woman; she always came to me in the mornings to report me regarding the princess’ health, and she would come back two or three more times the same day. Catalina would send her invitations for me to join her for dinner or supper through her. We had a few pleasant talks about her times with Catalina in Spain, and I learned a bit more about my wife.

Doña Elvira did not change her behaviour towards me; if anything, it only got worse after the journey. As I found out Catalina also disapproved such manners, I developed a certain fondness on making her feel uncomfortable; I would hold her stare with a silly smile when I caught her looking disapprovingly at me and tell her what a beautiful English morning that was, which made her grind her teeth before reply “Yes, Your Grace”. Maria de Salinas laughed in silence behind her, and would tell Catalina about it later in the day.

On the New Year’s Eve, Catalina was well enough to leave her rooms and join us for the New Year’s feast. She looked splendid on her blue gown, and the newly acquired English headdress, as he had put aside the Spanish mantilla. She also wore a set of sapphires that looked a bit familiar to me.

“You look wonderful.” I whisper to her during dinner. We did not want to draw too much attention to our fondness; there were too many spies surrounding us, and we could trust no one with our feelings.

“And you are flattering me, milord.” She replied with a side smile. We wouldn’t dare to speak for too long in public.

“It would be nice if we could spend this day together, only the two of us.” I sighed after some time. “Sometimes all this overwhelms me a little.”

“It’s a bit odd.” She agreed. “Most of those people I don’t even know yet they are here celebrating with us. I guess it is part of being a princess, isn’t it? Pretending?”

“Pretending is part of life.” I corrected her. “We are lucky if we find a space where we don’t have to do so, or someone whom we can trust to be ourselves with.”

“Have you ever found yours?” Catalina asked, curiously.

I smiled at her. “I believe I am looking at mine now.”

My wife looked down in delight, a warm smile in her face. “You should visit my chambers tonight.”

If we were not in a public space, I would probably have spit my wine in surprise. I had not spent the night on Catalina’s bed chamber after the horrible journey we had, and now she was inviting me to do so.

“What?”

“You heard me. I would very much like to see you tonight.”

I felt the excitement running through my veins; the fact Catalina wanted me there meant more than she could imagine. I had been longing for the day I could go to her bed as her husband, but I wanted it to be a mutual wish. Now I had the confirmation that it was.

It was a little after ten; Catalina stood up, and all her ladies and servants did the same. She curtseyed  to me, and said, loudly: “The night is very pleasant, milord, but I’m afraid I must go.”

“I will visit your rooms tonight, if that’s your wish, milady.” I said in the most polite way I could. Catalina raised a brow to me, but she was smiling.

“I would be honored.” She agreed, before leaving.

I wish I could run after her, grab her by her waist and kiss her in front of anyone; I wish I could have followed right away, holding her in my arms. But I had to hold it back and spend another twenty minutes with the court that felt like twenty years. Finally, I excused myself, wished everyone a merry New Year and a good feast, and rushed to Catalina’s bed chamber.