Chapter 12

Arthur, Prince of Wales; Wales, England. December 22nd1501.

It was always night when we finally arrived in Wales. The Welsh left their houses and went to the road to greet us, despite the cold. I knew they were finally happy that I was back and that I would spend Christmas with them, therefore I would bring the finest food, drink and entertainment with me. The holidays in Wales were often so lonely when there was no Prince there, but now they had a Prince and a Princess, so they cheered joyfully at that.

“Their Princess is as cold as the weather.”, I thought, looking behind for a moment as we slowly rode by the road.

Maria de Salinas approached me again; she seemed pale and worried, shacking with the cold. “Your Grace, if I may… Can we please move faster to the castle? The Princess is not feeling well…”

I did not even bother to look at her. “No, Lady Maria, we can’t. The people are here to greet me, to see me, and I will be a good Prince to them and let them see me.”

“Your Grace, I must insist… The Princess…”

“No. It’s my final word.”

She bit her bottom lip and did not say anything. I smiled broadly and waved at the people who were cheerfully calling out my name. It was amazing how they did not seem too bothered by the cold.

I intentionally rode slower than I intended to, as I knew Catalina would be bothered and annoyed. Well, if she wanted to be Princess of Wales and Queen of England, then she would have to get accustomed to the weather, I thought.

In my head, some plans started to form as we rode by; obviously, I needed an heir from Catalina. England counted on it, or else it would be in the hands of my foolish brother Henry, and I couldn’t allow that. But when I’d become King and I had a child from her, I could send her away, to the countryside perhaps, or even to a nunnery – wasn’t she the one who loved to pray all day long? – and then take a pretty girl as my mistress. No, before sending her away I would take a mistress, so I could parade her under her nose, shower her with gifts and honours and walk around with her. Yes, that’s what I would do.

Rejoicing myself with those thoughts, I looked back, briefly, and saw the annoyed Doña Elvira riding on her mare, looking at the litter’s window, along with Maria de Salinas. I had to hold back the laugh; Catalina must have been complaining about the weather and the slow speed of the journey.

“Wales, I greet you well!” I said, merrily, stopping my horse and waving at the people. The whole committee stopped, and Doña Elvira looked at me as if she would kill me if she could. I laughed as I was applauded and greeted by the Welsh, and slowly continued the march to the castle. It would still be a long march, perhaps an hour or more.

All along the road, there were group of people to greet us. Some women threw rose petals on our snowy way, and cheered for me and the Princess. Curious glances were directed to the litter; everyone was curious to see their Princess, the woman who had come from Spain, known by her beauty and grace, but she was hiding from them.

“Maria de Salinas, you should tell your madam to wave at the people!” I said loudly, in a cheerful tone. “Her people are thrilled to see her!”

She looked at me with an expression that was a mix of surprise and distaste; then, she looked worriedly at the litter’s window.

What she saw made her whisper something to Doña Elvira, and the woman approached the litter to look at Catalina. She immediately ordered it to stop.

“Your Grace, I’m sorry, but we must stop immediately.” Maria de Salinas said, defiantly.

“What? You cannot order…”

“I am not ordering anything. I’m doing my duty. I vowed to the Queen of Spain and to the Infanta that I would be a good maid-in-waiting and do my service with loyalty. And right now, my mistress is not feeling well.”

“If she is cold…” I started, but she cut me off before I could continue.

“She is not cold, she is unconscious for hours now, and her lips have become purple!” she yelled, hysterically. As she noticed she had spoken up to me, she put her hand on her mouth.

“What?” I asked.

“The Infanta is sick.” Doña Elvira said, mounting down her mare and rushing to the litter.

I did not care if there were people around looking curiously at us. I turned around with my horse, approaching the carriage where Catalina was. Doña Elvira tried to block my way to the entrance, but I spat a quick “Move!” and she unwillingly stepped aside, letting me see my wife.

She did not look anything at all with the Catalina I knew. That girl was pale, with many coats and furs covering her body, embracing the hot stone given by Mrs. Bennett like a scary child would embrace a doll. Her auburn hair was frosty, there were snowflakes and ice on her eyelids and her lips were crisped and purple.

“Catalina?” I called her, and I could her the fear in my voice.

She did not move.

“Catalina… Please answer me.”

No response.

“My lady…” Maria de Salinas finally burst into tears behind me.

I looked again at my wife, and touched her face with a shaky finger. Her skin was pale and cold; she looked like a scared little girl, a child. And I realised, she was a child. Catalina was only sixteen years old, and she was alone in a strange country, with no friends. And I had been so cruel to her.

“Catalina… Please be alive.” I put the back of my hand before her mouth and nose, and I felt a soft breath. It was so soft that the smoke didn’t even form. With a leap of hope, I took her hand, holding back the tears.

“Forgive me.” I said. “Forgive me, Catalina. I was so selfish… Please, forgive me…”

She gave no sound she had heard me. I let go of her hand and turned away.

“We are spending the night at the Caernarfon Castle!” I announced, thinking of the nearest royal residence in Wales. The Princess of Wales is ill and needs to rest. Let’s march – quickly!

I was aware that most of the Welsh who had come to greet us could not speak English, but they noticed there was something wrong. There was time to explain; the most important thing was Catalina. If I lost her, I would never forgive myself…