Chapter 11

Elizabeth of York; London, England. December 22nd, 1501

My sister arrived at court at night. I had not seen Cecily since Arthur’s wedding, when she honorably carried Catalina’s train.

Unlike my other sisters, Cecily and I had kept a close relationship, and she was highly favoured at court by my husband, being married to his uncle, the Viscount of Welles. One could say that even the cold Margaret Beaufort was fond of Cecily. She, as all our mother’s children, inherited the Rivers’ charm that made it impossible for anyone to overlook us. However, my clever sister learned how to turn enchantment into fondness quickly, something I had not mastered after years at court.

“Your Majesty, my sister!” Cecily greeted me, cheerfully, with a lovely curtsy. “Looking pleasant and charming as always!”

“Sister Viscountess.” I replied. “Not as much as you.”

She laughed, her courtier flatterer laugh that made everyone around her join it.

I invited her to my rooms, where we had dinner with my ladies. The formal dinner where she would be displayed to the court could wait until the other day. With Cecily’s charm, she convinced the King’s mother that she was rather tired and could use some private dinner with her sister. Had I been the one who asked, I was sure I’d be denied it.

After dinner, we had some privacy at my rooms, where she finally put off her courtier mask and sighed, utterly exhausted.

“How can you do it daily, Bess?”

“Practice.” I replied. “How have you been, Sissy?”

“The same. But I’ve heard you’ve had a pretty busy week.”

“Well indeed. My son has left to Ludlow with Catalina.”

“So I've heard."

"I am thinking about place spies in Ludlow.”

“That is only wise. I am surprised you haven’t already done so.”

“I’m sure your dearest friend Margaret Beaufort has plenty of them watching my son.” I spat, coldly.

Cecily’s lip curled in distaste. “Good Lord, what a crone! You know how much I despise that woman, Elizabeth, don’t say she’s my friend!”

“You’re always so close and lovely to her.” I said, noticing my jealous tone.

She must have noticed as well, for she laughed. “It is by flattering and enchanting her that I get what I want, Bess. You should do the same!”

I shook my head. “It is too late for me to start pretending I like her. And even if it was not, I would never do such a thing. I have not forgotten anything she has done to us.”

My sister looked at me, with a thoughtful look; she was no longer smiling. “You are so much like our mother sometimes, you know? You are no a courtier, you are a Queen, and a vengeful one.”

“Good. Isn’t that how queens are supposed to be?”

“Well, perhaps. But look where this led her.” She relied, bitterly.

I refused to reply; instead, I turned around, walking in circles on my room.

“Catalina is a lovely girl. She will be a good queen.” I said.

“I thought so as well.”

“I need to keep taking care of her. We became close those past weeks. She trusts me.”

“That is a good start.” My sister nodded.

“I have a plan.”

“Oh?”

I told my sister about my thoughts, and she heard in silence. There was a moment of silence, when I knew she was considering all I had said.

“If it works…” she started.

“Yes.”

Cecily finally nodded, and I knew I would have my sister’s support. We realised it would be better to return to the main room and spend another couple of futile hours with the ladies.

“Oh, and Bess?” she said, before we left the room. “I heard Melusina’s song. Right before Arthur’s departure.”