𝟮

AIMEE

"I found a perfect candidate for you, Aimee." Aunt Malissa said.

Not this again. I wanted to roll my eyes.

"He's thirty. And he's a doctor. His mom is a very nice lady." She continued. It was the same conversation every time we met. Them complaining about my love life.

They acted like I was sixty and there was no hope for me to find a husband anymore.

"I'm not interested, I told you. Maybe in two years." I mumbled with a piece of steak in my mouth.

It was New Year's and we were having dinner.

"It's a perfect time. I married your uncle when I was nineteen." My other aunt Violet said.

Why did that matter now? It doesn't mean I have to get married young as well. I loved my aunts but sometimes I felt like cussing them out. Which is something I would never do, but I wanted.

They would always compare me to their children aka my cousins. So what if they had boyfriends and girlfriends? No need to put that in my face.

I tried dating, but it was not working for me. With my way of working, I didn't even have time to date.

"I'm just focusing on my job right now." Can someone please change the subject of this conversation?

"She's a very hard-working young lady. Leave her alone. You'll find your person one day, Aimee." My grandpa finally joined the conversation. And thankfully gave me encouragement and agreed with me.

He was my favorite person in the family. He was like my best friend, supporting all of my decisions.

"Thank you." I mouthed. He smiled and winked at me.

"Dad, stop encouraging her with everything. She's getting old." Violet said. "Malissa found a perfect candidate. You should maybe go on a date with him." She looked my way.

Oh, God. This conversation was not going to be end.

My grandma was peacefully eating her food. Not even bothering with the rest of us. She always lived in her own world and never got into anyone's business. I admired her for that.

My dad and mom on the other hand, always supported my aunts.

When I was twenty-two, I moved out of their house and thankfully I didn't have to hear their complaining all the time. Only at times like this. On holidays and regular visits.

When we finished our dinner, Mom and I brought the chocolate cake to the table. We cut a piece for everyone and started eating.

It was delicious. Grandma always knew how to make the best food.

I took the dishes to the kitchen and looked at the clock. It was 7 pm now and I wonder if Mr. Hyde was still working.

Without thinking, I picked up my phone and dialed his office number.

It rang for a few seconds before I heard his voice.

"Yes?" He sounded tired. Why was he still working? It was late.

"Umm, hello Mr. Hyde. It's Aimee." I cleared my throat. I hope my voice didn't sound shaky.

"I was just checking if everything's okay at the office." And also checking if you are okay, but of course, I wasn't going to say that out loud. Why did I even care, if he was okay anyway?

"Everything's fine." Huh, okay. What should I say now?

"Oh, okay. Don't stay there for too long, you'll miss the firework." I tried to joke.