𝟰

AIMEE

It was Monday. January third.

First day at work this year. Coming to work after vacation was the worst thing ever. I was sleepy and didn't have any energy.

For me, it was never 'New Year, new me'. Everything was the same. I was the same. Always the boring and socially awkward Aimee. Maybe I should try something new.

But what? It's not like I had a list of new things I could be doing.

My phone vibrated and a message from Evelin popped up on the screen. She wanted to meet me for a coffee. Since I had a lunch break at 1 pm, I texted her that we could meet at the coffee shop next to the office building. I usually go there alone, but I guess I was lucky today.

The door of Mr. Hyde's office opened and he stepped out. He turned to me. "Can you call Jim here? The phone is not working. I need him to fix it immediately."

I picked up the phone and called Jim. He was an IT worker. I wasn't the biggest fan of him. The way he would stare at me and act around me, made me uneasy.

I dialed the number and waited. By the time Jim picked up, Mr. Hyde went back to his office.

"Yes?" Jim answered the phone. I didn't even like his voice.

"Can you please come to Mr. Hyde's office? There is a problem with his corded phone." I informed him. "Anything for you Aimee." He said with a sly tone to his voice. "Okay, thank you." I finished the call before he could say anything else.

After about five minutes, I spotted Jim walking towards my desk. His blonde hair was in a bun and his eyes held a mischievous look in them. He stopped directly in front of me and leaned his hands on the table. "Hi, Aimee. I haven't seen you in a while."

I really didn't want to make a conversation with him, so I stood up and gestured him to Mr. Hyde's office. "He's waiting for you." I went to the door and knocked twice before I heard his voice. I opened the door and stepped inside. Jim is behind me. Close behind. To close. Did he not know of personal space?

I cleared my throat and moved a little from him. "Jim get to work. I don't have all day." Mr. Hyde said with a frustrated tone.

"Yes, of course, sir."

Leaving them to deal with the phone, I exited the office. It was not even ten minutes after I left, Jim opened the door. Mr. Hyde behind him.

"Aimee, if you-"

"You can leave Jim, Miss Managold doesn't have time for chatting with you." Before he could finish his sentence, Mr. Hyde interrupted him.

Jim apologized and slowly started making his way out. Thankfully.

I sighed and turned my gaze to the computer. I had a lot of work to do before lunch break.

"Zaria." Oh God, I forgot he was still standing here. I apologetically smiled at him and avoided eye contact as much as I could.

"Yes, sir." Not my shaky voice again. I mentally face-palmed myself.

"Thank you for Friday. You didn't have to. But I appreciate it. It was delicious." He had his hands in his dress pants pockets.

As always he was dressed to perfection. His light blue shirt fitted his arms and chest perfectly. It was tucked in his dark navy-colored pants. He had a different watch on his left wrist today.

His hair was slicked back and...

Stop it, Aimee. You staring at him again.

My inner voice said.

"Umm, it was not a problem, sir. I'm glad you liked it."

And why was he making conversations with me? This never happened. Something was up with him.

Maybe he had a flu or something.

"Schedule the meeting with Mr. Salvador for the date we agreed on." With that, he left for his office.

I finally let out a long deep breath. I'll never get use to talking to him.

A message popped on my phone screen. Again. This time it was Aunt Malissa. I opened the message. This can't be real.

------

"You know what Aunt Malissa sent me? Look." I pushed the phone to Evelin.

We were at the coffee shop, eating some pastries and drinking hot chocolate.

I wasn't in the mood to drink coffee. I liked to drink it only in the morning.

"Wait, he's kind of cute though." Evelin zoomed the picture.

Aunt Malissa sent me a photo of the 'perfect candidate' called Kai and also his contact. Apparently, she did the same to him. God knows what picture she sent.

Why was she doing this? Did she really want to embarrass me this much?

"Maybe you should give it a try." Evelin shrugged her shoulders. She was my best friend for ten years now. We meet at a summer camp and immediately became really good friends. My parents sent me there because apparently I had to start making friends and thankfully I met her. It also helped that we didn't live far away from each other.

We went to the same college. It was a blessing to have someone who you know with you.

She was now working at her father's company. She was also engaged to one of my coworkers Rowan, who worked in the marketing department.

"You know I'm horrible at dating."

When I say horrible, I really mean it. I never attracted the right guys. It was always someone who was no good for me.

The last boyfriend I had was Nathan. We dated for about three months before we broke up. He asked me to be in a relationship with him, just to get his ex jealous. Of course, I didn't even know of that until she came to my parent's house and begged me to break up with her 'man'. My parents thought I was fooling around with a taken guy.

After that, I decided that dating was not for me and that I was going to focus on college and work.

Should I finally give this a try? I didn't even know.

"Think about it. It would be something new for you. Who knows, maybe he's a really nice guy. I mean he looks good in the picture." He did look good. But I wasn't sure.

"I'll see." We chatted for a bit and after a while, it was time to go back. I went to pay and looked at the pastries that they had.

I should buy some for Mr. Hyde. He probably didn't even eat lunch.

So I bought three different pastries and said goodbye to Evelin.

I got into the building and went to the elevator. It was 1:34 pm. I was late for four minutes.

Crap.

I hurried to Mr. Hyde's office and knocked.

"Yes, Zaria?" He took off his glasses and averted his eyes to me.

"I apologize for being late, sir." I knew how much he hated when someone was not on time.

"It's okay, but make sure it doesn't happen again." As I said, he never criticized me. I nodded and remembered what I bought for him.

"And here I bought this for you. I didn't know if you ate your lunch so..." I placed the bag on the small table next to his chair and thanked him again. Before he could say anything, I left his office.

I took off my coat and sat by the desk.

Maybe Evelin was right. I should reconsider my aunt's offer.

I just hope I'm not doing a mistake.

New chapter!!!