Five

Chapter 5

Once upon a time, there was a mermaid, the little mermaid was interested in the human land. One day, she was swimming near the seashore when she saw a man drowning and saving him. She gave the man her first kiss and fell in love with the man. The little princess went to the magician to turn her tail into legs and used her voice as the payment. She didn't think twice before sacrificing her melodious voice. After getting a pair of legs, she went to the land and lived happily with her prince.

“I wish to have a mermaid.”

***

Ronan woke up to the shivery feeling… he clasped his head, feeling it throbbing and splitting. He didn't understand why he remembered his favourite fairy tale story. He loved the story when he was young and had always wished for a mermaid's wife every time he heard the story. He chuckled, remembering the silliness then. He looked around to find himself on the floor. What was he doing laying on the bathroom floor? Was he drunk? But how is it possible? He sat up straight, holding his pierced head. He remembered ‌ he wanted to kill himself, but what was he doing at home? Everything was blank while he tried to remember what had happened.

“Are you okay?” He heard a melodious voice in the adjacent room and he wiped his head to the voice and his eyes clashed with blue worried eyes, he stared down at the legs and saw a mermaid tail and everything that had happened early came rushing back like his old favourite song.

Sea… angel… girl….mermaid! And a loud shrill sound escaped his mouth as he felt his eyes wanting to shut down immediately.

“No, no…” he heard the mermaid girl say to him worriedly. His eyes were doping closed as he saw the water slouched and the lady came out, and magically the tail disappeared into the legs. I'm dreaming, he muttered, fluttering his lashes closed again.

Aerwyna walked to where the laid man was and stared at him, dumbstruck. This was the third time this man had closed his eyes. She poked his cheek gently and was given no reaction. She chewed her lower lips thoughtfully before raising her dainty hand and slapping him, making his eyes open immediately.

“Ouch!” Ronan moaned in pain, holding his cheek as he stared at the blue eyes, then released a scream before scrambling off to the wall, holding his chest fearfully. She was a mermaid! That was why she was pointing to the sea when he was asking her where her house was.

He needed to be sure, “you are a mermaid?” he stuttered, hugging himself tightly.

Aerwyna pointed to herself and smiled sweetly while nodding her head in answer. “I'm the princess of Arcadia - the one and only princess of the Arcadia sea,” she said proudly, softly tilting her head toward the bathtub, to emphasise the sea- the water in the bathtub.

Ronan stared at her dumbfounded though he wished to have a mermaid when he was young but was his silly wish granted?! He wetted his lips gingerly and stretched his hand hesitantly as he touched her legs, feeling the softness as she curled her toes and giggled loudly.

“What are you doing on land?” he asked. He was curious to know what she came to do. Did she have an immature love that promised to come to land? He thought before shaking his head to clear the brazen thought from his head. And the thought of the promised love made his stomach coiled in anger. While he stood up after he felt his headache cease.

She curled her lips as she gawked at him as if he had grown another pair of heads, scrunching her nose as she crouched on the floor. “It was because of you,” she responded while Ronan felt his heart skip a bit. She came to the land because of him. He mentally had a dance in his head before he shook his head.

“Why me?!” he asked, wanting to know whether his wish was granted or for another reason.

“It was because I saved you! The wave washed me to the land,” she spoke under her breath, but he heard it clearly.

He scoffed at himself for imagining the impossible! Can a silly wish come true, “so you are telling me that mermen are real?” he inquired slowly, scrutinising his gaze at her before trailing his hand to her blue hair, feeling the silky texture.

“Woah,’ he muttered, “it's hard to process….it is…,” he could not finish his sentence when her stomach growled loudly.

“Oh! Let's feed you,” he began, taking her to the kitchen. Showering was long forgotten.

After having their fill, he prepared the bed for her to sleep in while he gave her one of his shirts to wear. She stared at him to the shirt ignorantly, holding the cloth to her chest while he shook his head, feeling the earlier pounding in his head was coming back. He was now responsible for the little mermaid, who was clueless about the humans' world.

“You wear this,” he enunciated slowly for her while she nodded in understanding as she dropped the towel wrapped on her body on the floor and Ronan's eyes widened, his neck and ears coated red embarrassingly as he immediately turned his back to give her privacy.

The shirt fell on her mid-thigh, showing her milky legs as the sleeves were long, covering her hands while the neck was falling, showing her perfect collarbone. Seeing her clearing now, through the illumination of the moon reflecting inside, he clearly believed she wasn't from their world.

Ronan cleared his throat awkwardly, rubbing his neck embarrassingly. “You sleep here,” he pointed to the made bed for her while he took the extra pillow and turned to leave but was stopped.

He turned his body to her to see her hugging a pillow, already staring at him expectantly while he gulped, “I’ll sleep on the couch. You take the bed.” he murmured.

“Where are you going?”

“To sleep,” he responded in a duh tone. Didn't she hear what he said?

“Sleep here with me,” she started, patting the edge of the bed.

“What?!” he was dumbstruck, he shook his head and left. He dusted the small couch with the pillow and then laid on it. Today has been a hell coaster of events, he thought, closing his eyes to get sleep. His eyes flew open when he felt a presence beside and he immediately sat up.

“I want to sleep here,” she mumbled, curling to the side of the couch. Ronan pinched the bridge of his nose and carried her to the bed, tucking her in. He waited for her breath to even out and went back to the couch, flopping on it tiredly.

Damn!