Chapter Ten

Heavy breathing and groans filled the air, the room was thick with the smell of sweat

Heavy breathing and groans filled the air, the room was thick with the smell of sweat. Aerys whispered sweet nothings in his wife's ear from his place behind her. The heir to the Iron Throne was wrapped around his niece, strong arms held her tightly to his chest. Aerys placed a kiss to her bare shoulder, trailing his lips up her neck and to her ear.

"You are doing so well. Just a little longer now." He whispered.

Rhaenyra groaned in answer, her head rolling back so she could look up at her husband. Rhaenyra's heart felt full at the look of love and devotion in her husband's eyes.

"Keep breathing." The midwife instructed, breaking the couple from their moment. "And push."

Rhaenyra wept from the pain of labor. This was the couple's third child in the ten years they had been married.

"And again."

"I c- I can't."

"Yes you can, Rhaenyra." Aerys urged, Placing another kiss to her shoulder.

The princess grit her teeth as she pushed, exhausting all her muscles.

"The head!" A young midwife called excitedly.

Rhaenyra groaned as she pushed again, moaning with pain as cries filled the room.

"Praise the mother!" The midwives cried as one of the women swept the babe into her arms. Rhaenyra chuckled in relief, holding her arms out for her son. The babe was wrapped in a red blanket, only its scrunche up face showing.

"Healthy?" Rhaenyra asked, relief flooding her at the midwife's nod.

"Another boy," Aerys smiled down at his son. "You've done well, my light.

Aerys was vaguely aware as the doors to their chambers opened and a young servant girl entered. The prince was to focused on his growing family, resting his chin on Rhaenyra's shoulder as he admired his son. His hand gently reached for the babe, softly carresing his son's face with one finger.

"Your Highnesses, the Queen has requested that the child be brought to her immediately."

"No." Aerys spoke, anger filling his voice. "Tell the Queen she can visit tomorrow if she wishes to see the babe so bad. My wife needs rest."

"We will go." Rhaenyra spoke, grabbing Aerys' forearm to get his attention. "Help me up."

Aerys stood to his full height, reaching down and helping his wife stand.

"She should remain abed, my prince." The midwife warned.

"Yes she should!" Aerys glared at the Queen's messenger. "But what my wife desires she gets."

"Help me dress." Rhaenyra ordered the midwives, handing the babe to Aerys.

The babe crying once he wasn't in his mother's arms. Aerys began rocking and shushing his son. The babe stopped crying, finding comfort in his fathers arms.