Chapter Eighteen

The next day passed by in a blur for Aerys, the heir to the Iron Throne spent most of the day wandering around the Red Keep and trying to avoid both his wife and the Queen

The next day passed by in a blur for Aerys, the heir to the Iron Throne spent most of the day wandering around the Red Keep and trying to avoid both his wife and the Queen. Aerys was successful until a servant had found him in the library and informed him of Viserys' request to have dinner with the entirety of his family in the Keep.

That is how Aerys found himself sat at a table between his wife and the Queen. An empty spot where Viserys would sit separated the table in two. Aerys' wife and children on one side and Alicent and her children on the other.

Aerys kept his eyes forward, ignoring both women as they continued to glance at him. Aerys  stood as the door creaked open signaling Viserys' entrance. Everyone else quickly followed the Heir's lead and stood up as well. The King sat on a chair carried by four knights using poles to carry him. Aerys felt nothing but anger at the sight of his brother, he should have been here caring for Viserys instead of living on Dragonstone.

"How good it is... to see you all tonight... together." Viserys spoke, taking care to not overextend himself. "This is an occasion for celebration."

"Prayer before we begin?" Alicent asked. At the King's agreement everyone closed their eyes and clasped their hands together in front of them. "May the Mother smile down on this gathering with love. May the Smith mend the bonds that have been broken for far too long."

Alicent leant back in her chair opening her eyes signaling the prayers end.

"It both gladdens my heart and fills me with sorrow to see these faces around the table. The faces most dear to me in all the world... yet grown so distant from each other... in the years past."

With that Viserys lifted his hand to the strap holding the golden mask in place. The mask landed on the table with a thud as Viserys looked up and around the table. All could see the sunken skin and hole exposing the tendons and muscles in his cheek, and an empty socket where his eye should be. Aerys had to suppress the retch crawling up his throat as he saw the King's face for the first time.

"My own face is no longer a handsome one, " Viserys joked. "But tonight I wish you to see me as I am. Not just a king... but your father. Your brother. Your husband. And your grandsire. Who may not, it seems, walk for much longer among you. Let us no longer hold ill feelings in our hearts. The Crown cannot stand strong if the house of the dragon remains divided, but set aside your grievances. If not for the sake of the crown, then for the sake of this old man who loves you all so dearly."

Aerys watched as Alicent helped ease Viserys back into his seat, the Queen took care to not cause Viserys any pain. Viserys words rang in his mind.

The Crown cannot stand strong if the house of the dragon remains divided.

Would he have to follow through with Rhaenyra's plan. The sound of a chair dragging along the stone floor caused Aerys to look to where Rhaenyra now stood, raising a glass.