Chapter Sixteen

Rhaenyra and Aerys had remained in the King's chambers as Viserys slept, neither eager to leave him after not seeing him for so long

Rhaenyra and Aerys had remained in the King's chambers as Viserys slept, neither eager to leave him after not seeing him for so long. Aerys sat in a chair by Viserys' model of Old Valyria, staring at the stone creation. He remembered in his youth how he had spent hours watching as Viserys poured over the historical accounts and created plans.

Rhaenyra had paced the entirety of the room, worrying over her father's state. She had retreated inwards, thinking over any possible option she had. Part of her wanted to find Alicent and scream at the Queen for not telling her of her father's condition. The Other part of her told her to look in the mirror, she had forced them to move to Dragonstone, abandoning King's Landing.

"I believe we should consult Maester Gerardys" Rhaenyra spoke finally turning to face Aerys, taking her husband's hand. "Perhaps if he could see the King, he'd suggest a different sort of treatment."

"We shall send for him." Aerys agreed. "I don't see us returning to Dragonstone any time soon."

"It is our home, Aerys. Our children's home."

"We are needed here." Aerys stood up, grabbing his wife's other hand so he held both. "I know you don't wish to hear it, but the end of Viserys' reign is nearing." Rhaenyra attempted to pull away at that, not wanting to even consider her father's death. Though Aerys remained firm, as he forced his wife to consider the possibility. "If we do not stay now, Seven knows how long we shall have."

Rhaenyra stared at her husband. She wanted to be angry, to scream at him for even speaking of her father dying. But once again a part of her spoke the truth, Aerys was right. The Princess nodded, much to Aerys' surprise. He had expected a fight of some sorts, one where dragon's tempers reared their ugly head.

Aerys pulled Rhaenyra closer, wrapping his arms around his wife. Though Aerys couldn't remember losing his mother or father, Viserys was the closest thing he had to a parent and he didn't want to say goodbye. Aerys could only imagine how devastated Rhaenyra was.

The sound of the door opening caused the couple to pull apart, There Alicent stood dressed all in green, a shine of silver hanging from around her neck. Aerys couldn't deny that she was still as beautiful as she was in her youth. Back when it was them together, and all Aerys could think about was asking for her hand. The Prince couldn't help but wonder what could've been if he had gathered the courage to ask quicker. Maybe it would be her he was holding instead of Rhaenyra.

Though looking at his wife, Aerys knew he wouldn't change anything. He loved Rhaenyra too much. He couldn't betray her; he would rather die. His sweet wife, the mother of his children. Hell, she was heavy with his child right now. Aerys loved her and all she had done for him, loving him at his lowest points when he still tasted like heartache and betrayal.

"Princess Rhaenyra." Alicent took a breath before addressing Aerys. "And Prince Aerys. It's been so long since we were granted the joy of your presence,"