Chapter Twelve

Baelon's cries had awoken them hours later. Aerys had shot out of bed, telling Rhaenyra he would get the babe. Baelon quieted down some once in his father's arms, but he still cried as Aerys handed him off to Rhaaenyra. The Princess had undone the front of her dress and began feeding the babe. Aerys couldn't help but watch, he found the act fascinating.

Once Baelon had drunk his fill, the family moved to the sitting area in their rooms. A servant had entered with a bowl and cloth. Wetting the cloth in cold water, the servant placed it in Rhaenyra's dress.

"This will ease the pain, Princess. You shall feel better in a day or two, when the milk dries up."

Rhaenyra thanked the servant, fixing her dress as she sat back down.

"If that is all, I would like some time alone with my wife and newborn son."

"I also bring news," At Aerys nod the Servant continued. "Theres been an incident in the training yard."

After the Servant had explained what had happened she left quickly, knowing the Prince and Princess would wish to speak alone.

"They'll take his cloak." Aerys spoke. "They might even send him away."

"I know he is your friend, but maybe it is for the best. With Ser Harwin gone, rumors will not surround our next child."

"Next child? You've just given birth, Nyra, and already you plan for the next."

"Who can blame me when I am wed to the Handsomest man in all the realm."

"And I have the most beautiful wife in the Seven Kingdoms."

...

Aerys sat at the King's right side, Rhaenyra sat beside him and Alicent across from him. Viserys had been easy to persuade to allow Rhaenyra to join the small council. The King still felt guilty for breaking his brother's heart when he wed Alicent.

Lord Lyonel briefed the council on the conflict brewing in the Riverlands, though Aerys paid him little mind as he watched Rhaenyra from the corner of her eye. The Princess seemed quite distracted, a sad look on her pretty face.

"Why was this issue not brought before Lord Grover?" Alicent asked as Lyonel paused for breath. "Has he grown so feeble he cannot settle a quarrel over rocks?"

"I've heard tale that Lord Grover's son now rules Riverrun in all but name." Lord Jasper Wylde, the Master of Laws answered.

"Well he is also a Tully, and this remains a Tully problem." Alicent questioned.

"I would agree." Viserys spoke.

"If we may move on, my lords-" Ser Tyland began.

"And yet, the Brackens and the Blackwoods will use any excuse to spill each other's blood." Rhaenyra disagreed. "So, this dispute bears looking into."

"There will be countryfolk who know where the lines have been drawn for generations." Aerys instructed Lord Lyonel.

"That is easy enough." Lyonel replied. "Ser Tyland?"

"Of course." Alicent muttered as she took a sip from her drink, causing Rhaenyra and Aerys to glare at her.

"We should address the latest developments in the Stepstones, my lords." Ser Tyland spoke.

"Will we ever be shut of that blasted place?" Viserys groaned.

"If you ask me, I think the Blackwoods have the upper hand." Lord Beesbury spoke, adding to the former conversation.

"We've moved onto the Stepstones, Lord Beesbury." the Grand Maester, Orwyle whispered.

"And the Triarchy's new alliance with Dorne." Ser Tyland added loudly.

"I was hoping our negotiations with Sunspear might persuade them to see reason." Viserys coughed. "To trust a Martell is to be disappointed."

"And where I wonder is our Prince Daemon?" Lord Jasper snidely questioned. "Or I suppose I should call him King, as he styled himself when he won a battle there once."

"That was a decade ago and he has since left the region undefended." Alicent spoke.

"We have left it undefended." Rhaenyra corrected. "There should have been fortifications built, watchtowers, a fleet of ships, a garrison of soldiers sent to hold our ground."

"We cannot afford it." Alicent interjected, looking pointedly at the Princess. "Our coffers are great but not infinite. We must consider the cost to our subjects, Princess."

"I must agree." Lord Beesbury spoke.

"The cost of war is greater." Rhaenyra interrupted loudly. "But we have been lax and the old monster now lifts its head."

"Let us be finished." Alicent stood, done with the conversation. The rest of the small council members followed their Queen's lead, and also stood up.

"Wait." Rhaenyra ordered. "I wish to speak."

"The meeting has ended, Princess." Alicent argued. "You should have spoken when we were in session."

"My wife wishes to speak." Aerys defended Rhaenyra. "If you had not cutting the meeting short maybe she would have had time."

Be seated." Viserys sighed, motioning for everyone to sit down. All sat but Alicent who remained standing in front of her seat. Rhaenyra stood as well, looking to her husband for support.

"I have felt the strife between our families of late, My Queen." Rhaenyra started. "And for any offense given by mine, I apologize. But we are one house. And long before that, you were my friend. My son Jacaerys will inherit the Iron Throne after his father. I propose we betroth him to your daughter, Helena. Ally ourselves once and for all. Let them rule together."

"A most judicious proposition." Viserys praised his daughter before looking to Alicent. Though the Queen softly sighed at Rhaenyra's speech.

"Additionally, if Syrax brings forth another clutch of eggs, your son Aemond will have his choice of them, a symbol of our goodwill."

"Rhaenyra," Alicent whispered, looking from the young mother's face to her chest. Rhaenyra looked down, spotting the stains she quickly covered them up. A quick glance around the room, showed all the men bowing their heads out of respect.

"My dear," Viserys spoke as Rhaenyra sat down. "A dragon's egg is a handsome gift."

"The King and I thank you for your generous offer. You must rest now husband." Alicent dismissed Rhaenyra.