02: The Lingering Question

STU FINDS YOU BEHIND the counter with your legs to your chest

STU FINDS YOU BEHIND the counter with your legs to your chest. You weren't crying anymore, just wrapped in a tight ball. He tried to pry you open, making light comments and jokes, but you didn't react. He gives up and grabs your work keys from the counter, proceeding to lock up the store before sitting down next to you after grabbing the stack of movies you left on the counter.

           "Damn, got some pretty good picks here, babe." He shakes his head, going through the stack with thoughtful eyes and a teasing smile.

           You sniffle, slowly bringing your head up from their haven behind your knees. You're sure you look like a mess; red eyes, wet face, runny nose. You wipe away, trying to gain some dignity as you look at Stu. He's still engrossed in reading the summary on the back of the case for Cannibal Holocaust.

           "It's found footage." Your voice is hoarse. You clear it, embarrassed, but Stu doesn't comment as he flashes you a grin.

           "Looks fuckin' sick," He jiggles it, "Gotta watch this one first tonight."

           You're thankful that Stu has the emotional intelligence to know not to bring up your current state. Instead, he continues to be bright and issues distractions. You appreciate it. Appreciate him. You look at him, a thought crossing your mind as he helps you stand.

           Stu would never hurt you.

           It's a sudden, unprovoked thought, but it melts your heart. You have someone you can trust — and can depend on when needed. He's always been slow with you, gentle, and never pushed you into a situation you didn't want to be in. Never said anything hurtful or mean to you. Never did anything but care.

           When he wraps his arm around you, leading you outside into the cool air, you relax. You feel secure. He's talking about something, you aren't sure what, but he's animated and fun and bright. It brings a smile to your lips as you lean into his side. Happy to be near him. Happy to be wanted.