04: Prime Suspect

04: Prime Suspect

IF ANYONE TOLD YOU that you'd be spending the night wrapped in Dewey's jacket within the police station, you probably would've believed them

IF ANYONE TOLD YOU that you'd be spending the night wrapped in Dewey's jacket within the police station, you probably would've believed them. The day started with an unnatural atmosphere. You woke up feeling uncomfortable and out of place. You knew something was wrong. You had a feeling that you should stay inside and lock the door, but you ignored it, and perhaps that was one of the most ignorant things you could have done.

           "You should spend the night," Tatum sat beside you against the fountain. You were waiting for the stragglers of your group, but seeing as your class was let out early, you knew it'd be a bit until they came. "Sid already said she feels uncomfortable being home alone without her dad, so why not make it a girl's night thing?"

           Biting into your apple, the first thing you've eaten in two days, you frown. "You sure your mom'll be okay with that?"

           Tatum tosses strands of hair over her shoulder. "My mom loves you; you know that." She purses her lips in contemplation. "She's also worried about you staying in that house all by yourself."

           "It's not that bad," You mutter between a bite.

           She gives you a 'are you serious' look. "Hun, your mom is like never home. And I know it can't be easy when-"

           "Yeah, I know." You sigh, sinking into the grass. You nibble the inside of your cheek, tearing at the slowly healing wounds, and mull over the offer. You have no reason to stay home alone, but being alone with the girls makes you uncomfortable. You hate to admit why, but after Randy's comment and recognizing a few things that Billy and Stu do, you know it's because you feel guilty.

           "It'll be fun~" Tatum's trademark smile makes you feel like putty in her hands.

           "Okay, but if Stu shows up again, I'm socking him in the face." You warn, and she laughs, pulling you in for a side hug.

           "Are you working tonight?" She asks, and you shake your head. "I have practice, so after I get off and swing by Sidney's, we'll come get you, sound good?"