04 | Imprisonment

━━━━━━━━━━━✦❘༻༺❘✦━━━━━━━━━━━

"I take it you already know that Amelia was a curse-bearer, right?" Vanitas asked sternly. Noé nodded, the woman beside him only awaiting further response.

"Like her, many other vampires have appeared across the barrier, except that they have already gone rampant by then. What causes that is that their true names are being defiled by the maladies," the doctor explained, the serious look on his face maintaining hold.

"What is a malady?" Noé asked, curiously.

"It's what we call the tattered remains of a true name of a vampire. Corrupted and tainted, it drives the host mad.
So of course, the thirst to drink blood, which is normally easy to quench, has become an unsatiable urge that they cannot resist," Vanitas stated.
"My treatment consists of reversing the process of the maladies corrupting their names, which is purifying them and restoring them to their original form, untainted."

He paused, before continuing. "Without my treatment curing the vampires, the problem will only escalate. If we don't do anything to find the root cause, it won't be long until all vampire kind is driven to extinction."

Noé's eyes widened. "Extinction...?" he whispered. The doctor smirked, as he turned to face the two.
"Yes. Extinction, Noé. I'll see that things don't go that far," he began.

"I will do 𝔞𝔰 ℑ 𝔭𝔩𝔢𝔞𝔰𝔢, I will use my 𝔬𝔴𝔫 methods!" he exclaimed. Y/N tensed, observing the proud human, who leaped, landing again on the crystalline platform.

"It matters not who disagrees," he said, confidently. "I will save the vampires, and 𝔫𝔬 𝔬𝔫𝔢 𝔴𝔦𝔩𝔩 𝔰𝔱𝔬𝔭 𝔪𝔢...!"

"Why would you say no one will stop you? The Crimson Moon vampires fear the grimoire, do they not?" Y/N intervened. "Logically, they would try to destroy all objects related to the grimoire and the grimoire itself."

Noé turned to look at her, a confused and conflicted look on his face. 'They fear it?'
Vanitas looked at the [h/c] haired woman, a pleased look on his face.

"You make a valid point, but that isn't of my concern. They may fear it, but I'll find my way. We'll save them, and show them that this isn't just a game. They need our help, like it or not, and we will save them," Vanitas replied, before pausing, pursing his lips.
"That is, of course, if you'll join me. With both of your strengths, there would be no obstacle that could deter or prevent us from achieving our goal."

The [h/c] haired woman perked up at the mention of the use of strength.
"Your ability, Y/N, is one of great power. In the right hands, it could prove to be a great assistance in our mission," Vanitas said, jumping off and walking towards her.