SEVENTEEN: mr popular

─── ·· ───

"Cheers!" The team cheered in sync as they raised their glass.

"I am so proud of everyone today. Whether you won a medal or not, I am equally proud." Coach Yoon Sunghoon happily before taking a sip of her beer. "And to have two winners on this team, I could never be more proud. Here's to Meiyon and Sunghoon!"

It was a tradition to celebrate after every competition and so this time, they were at a popular Korean barbeque restaurant near the venue. As everyone immersed themselves in smaller conversations, Meiyon found herself awkwardly sitting at the end of the table with no one to speak to.

It wasn't that she had bad blood with the other people on the ice-skating team, but rather because she was so fixated with practice and study, she never mingled with any one else...besides Sunghoon.

"Little Miss first place looks bored." Sunghoon's voice interrupted he train of thoughts. She watched as he made himself comfortable on the other side of the table as he poured himself some water.

"What about your friends?" Meiyon asked, referring to the other people he was chatting away with.

"They'll survive."

"I will too."

"Of course you will." He chuckled. "Not a single flaw in your blood."

Suddenly feeling shy, Meiyon only bit her bottom lip out of habit whenever she's put in an awkward position.

"Congrats on first place." Sunghoon noticed her unusual behaviour and changed the topic.

"Thanks. You too." Meiyon smiled.

It was a little weird. Not only now, but for the past couple of weeks. Nothing was going on between the two of them, yet at the same time, both were aware of something.

True, Sunghoon could be mean and insulting, but it was always harmless. It was only a matter of time before Meiyon realised that most of the insults from his teasing behaviours were just compliments in disguise. Upon this discovery, she wanted to believe that he was more than just a teammate in this sport.

"How are you feeling?" Sunghoon asked before placing some meat in her empty bowl. "Eat."

"Relieved?" Meiyon spoke as if she was also unsure. "I mean, of course, I'm happy i scored the highest in my division but I just wonder if i did enough. I wonder if my parents are proud."

Sunghoon only stared in silence as if he were in deep thought. He wondered, just how much she had been pushing herself to become the person she is today. "You should be proud of yourself. Even if you were to score last, you should be proud of your achievements."

"Haha hypothetically, i would never be proud of myself for that result." Meiyon laughed only to be met with his serious face.

"You know, there is very little difference between scoring well and not scoring but have been training tirelessly." He sighed. "Because i know how hard you have worked, even if you were to rank last, i would still be proud of you."

"I'm-"

"I mean it. I'm proud of your achievements and you should be too. Don't push yourself too hard."

In all honesty, Meiyon didn't know what to say. Yes, she has been praised all her life by people she knew and strangers too but never has anyone complimented her with such sincerity. And to be praised by the one and only Park Sunghoon who had scored the highest out of the entire competition, she could always cry. Luckily, the mood is too lively to get sedimental.

"I'm proud of you too." Meiyon muttered under her breath.

"What was that?" Sunghoon played dumb. Despite the background noise within their conversation, he had heard her loud and clear.

"Nothing." Meiyon shyly turned away, facing anyone but him.

"Only princesses like you would refuse to repeat themselves." He chuckled. "Thank you."

Just as Meiyon was ready to start a new topic, a familiar-looking girl began approaching their table.

"Hey." The gorgeous girl with almond-shaped eyes and pearly white teeth greeted them.

Although Meiyon wasn't sure who exactly she was talking to, it didn't take a genius to understand her motive.

"Congratulations! Your performances were exceptional. As expected from HYBE skaters."

Meiyon recognised her now. It was Chaerin, the runner-up of her division. In other words, second place to her.

"Miss Meiyon, we meet again." Chaerin smiles. "I hope to see you next season too."

"I'll be there." Meiyon smiled back.

"So is this handsome guy who happens to also be first, your boyfriend?" Chaerin spoke as if he wasn't sitting right there and listening to their conversation.

"Uh?" Meiyon was taken aback by her question. Despite knowing her intention, she was expecting to be asked such a question. "No, of course not."

"You think we'd be a compatible couple?" Sunghoon smirked without leaving his gaze on Meiyon.

"Maybe." Chaerin giggled. "But since she's not, I can volunteer."

Sunghoon only laughed with second place as Meiyon sat there in confusion. Maybe that was one of her weak points: not knowing how to read the room properly.

"That's very bold of you." Sunghoon smirked.

"I like to be direct. It's one of my charms." Chaerin shrugged. "So can i get your insta?"

"Sure." Sunghoon typed in his username before handing the phone back to her.

"Sweet." She chirped. "I'll contact you." She winked before leaving.

As Meiyon felt like a complete outlier, she only ate in silence as she pretended to be busy chewing her food. "What?" She spoke as she noticed he was only watching her eat.

Sunghoon on the other hand, couldn't help but notice the obvious change in her mood. He didn't hate it as he found it rather cute. Who would expect such a nonchalant and reserved girl to be so amusing?

"Jealous?" He teased the girl who was busy chugging water down her throat.

"You wish."

"You can volunteer too you know." He tried to suppress his laughter. "I'll let you skip the application process too."

"I'll pass." Meiyon faked a smile thinking that was going to be the end of the discussion.

"Yeah, you're right. A princess should be treated like one." He rested his chin on his palm. "So where do i sign up?"

Of course, Sunghoon knew what he was doing. And he was doing well.

Behind Meiyon's composed mask on the inside, her flustered side on the inside is running laps.
Not even her previous relationships had made her feel this way.

Thus, to say Sunghoon who wasn't even her boyfriend made her feel this way, was driving her insane.

Sunghoon effect.

13/12/23 --> "i broke my own heart because you were too polite to do it"