EIGHTEEN: first before second

─── ·· ───

"One second." Meiyon frantically searched her bag for her phone as her debit card was linked to the digital wallet. However, remembering she had left her phone to charge during class, she almost cursed under her breath in such an awkward situation.

"And one iced americano please." A familiar voice crept from behind before tapping the phone away. "Still so forgetful."

"Sunghoon." Meiyon accidentally said out loud.

It has been a few weeks since the competition and return of Coach Yoon. Due to her return, Sunghoon was no longer her temporary coach meaning the time spent together had decreased immensely. True, they were on the same team, and true, they shared some classes together, but she didn't know what to say to him.

They were friends but she didn't know if they were close enough to be hanging out besides on training.

"Hm?" He looked down on her, expecting her to continue speaking. "Why do you look so surprised?" He asked before returning her phone back to her.

"Oh? Thank you. I'll transfer you back." She dodged his question.

Meiyon was in fact surprised to talk to him again.

A few weeks felt like a few years.

"Are you in a rush?" He asked out of curiosity. "So much that you dashed out of class without your friends and your phone?"

"Uh." Meiyon hesitated. To be fair, she didn't really have a solid answer. "I have an assignment due tonight. Need to get working you know." She laughed dryly.

"You and I both know you're the last person to start things last minute." He collected both their drinks before handing one to her. "But I'll accept your excuse."

"Um...thanks?" Meiyon awkwardly took a sip out of her drink.

As amusing as it was to witness awkward Meiyon not knowing how to converse properly, Sunghoon would much rather prefer her more defensive yapping side. The wall between them was thick enough to be seen.

He didn't appreciate that.

"So how are you and Miss Second Place?" Meiyon randomly asked out of the blue.

Perhaps because Meiyon had no idea what to say, she asked him what she wanted to know the most.

"Who?" Sunghoon furrowed his eyes in perplexity.

"Chaerin?" She looked at him to wait for the bell to ring.

"Oh her." He nodded. "What about her?"

"How are things going? I mean she did ask for your @ "

Upon reading the room, Sunghoon decided to play along.

"Oh, we getting along just fine."

"That's good to hear." She nodded. "She seems to fancy you a lot."

"Who doesn't." He shrugged arrogantly which made her roll her eyes.

"Okay world wide ice prince." She emphasised her words.

He smirked at her name-calling. "Why so curious?"

"Who knows? Just curious about how she can tolerate such an intolerable man."

Despite her insults, Sunghoon couldn't help but smile at her. Perhaps he also missed their private training sessions together.

"Intolerable yet you're still talking to him."

"I'm strong."

"And she isn't?"

"No? I'm a girl's girl."

"That makes me a girl's boy." He mocked her.

"Oh shut up." She slapped his arm out of habit. "Where to now?"

"Heading to the ice rink." He replied.

"Oh me too."

"I know. That's why I ran after you." He sighed before shaking his head as he recalled her terrible excuse from before.

Heat crept up her neck as she felt embarrassed by not only being forgetful but also having to head to the same place despite saying she had assignments to complete.

But behind the humiliation, is the little candle of envy.

An envious feeling as she wished she was in Chaerin's position; chatting away with Sunghoon.

"Hey also," Sunghoon spoke again, "she may have my username, but you have my number."

"And?" Meiyon did not understand.

"I'm not active on social media."

"Yet you're always on your phone."

"Exactly." The corner of his lips curved up. "Stop ghosting me, princess."

Never did Sunghoon contact Chaerin again after a short conversation which he ended eventually.

It just didn't hit and he rather not drag things on.

No doubt Miss Second Place was great but he has his preferences.

Someone who matches his level; first placer.

13/12/23 --> Sunghoon's character in this story is not for the weak if you were in Mei's place