Chapter 18

After the failed bank heist Peter and the girls didn't find much else and Peter needed to get back to his office. Despite the fun and good he had done going out as Spider-Man and stopping crime with the girls, he still had some things to take care of where his company was concerned.

First and foremost he needed to contact Karla about her chance at a job with him as their psychiatrist. But after that he wanted to contact Yuri for a performance review of the prototype suit he gave her, get the girls to test the inhibitor ring and check on the file he acquired from Starks private server.

'Actually... I should probably ask the girls now if they would be willing to test it. Don't want to have a repeat of Laura's reaction by not telling them.' Peter thought wisely about asking them to test the ring.

"Hey guys, would you mind helping me with something?" He asked them.

"Help you with what?" Asked Hope.

"I need to run a few tests on a new invention and I was wondering if you could help." He answered her question.

"What sort of test?" Kamala asked.

"It's a ring made from the inhibitor collars. I want to see how you guys are affected." He answered Kamala readying himself for a series of angry responses.

"The inhibitor collars! You're experimenting with the inhibitor collars!" Hope yelled in shock and slight anger.

"Wait, I have a good reason." He pleaded.

"You'd better. You know how much harm they've brought to mutants." How seethed.

"Hope... I believe that there are some people who might benefit for having something like this. I know the collars have brought a lot of harm towards mutants but I don't want that for anyone, if someone is having trouble controlling their powers or don't want them to be a burden, the ring would be a fitting alternative." He explained similarly to how he explained things to Laura.

"I... I get that. But... don't you think it's still dangerous?" She asked worriedly.

"If I'm being honest... yea. I would hate for someone to take the invention and manipulate for their own evil uses. But Hope... please trust me that all I want to do with it is help some people who may need it. Like Rogue." He answered her honestly.

Hope realised quickly that Peter was making this for the intention of giving it to Rogue, unlike her, Rogue had no control over her powers and even though she could copy anyones powers with physical contact it was a taxing process on the one she touched and it could even kill them if she wasn't careful. So much so that Rogue has said many a time that she hated her powers and wished for them to be gone.

"Yea... I understand. Rogue needs something like this. I'm sure she'll be happy knowing she doesn't have to worry about her powers acting up." Hope agreed.

"I'm glad you understand Hope. So... are you guys willing to test it? It's fine if you don't." He asked again with no pressure to them.

"Yea. I'll help." Hope answered first.

"Yea, me too." Kamala said next.

"Same here." Anya agreed with the others.

"What about you Laura? You gonna help?" Hope asked her fellow mutant.

"I already tested it." She answered to their surprise.

"You've tested it? When?" Hope asked confused.

"Before you guys showed up in Peters office. Although he didn't tell me what the ring was for and only to put it on. I felt the same way as you Hope... but when Peter explained to me why he was making it... I understood as well." Laura explained her experience with the test.