Chapter 19

Peter and the girls left the testing area after they had tried on the inhibitor ring that he designed. The results of said test were curious to him, the effects of the ring varied for each of them, Anya and Kamala felt no changes to their powers and were still able to use them freely, Laura couldn't use her powers when she tried it and didn't notice the change until he pointed it out, and Hope also lost her powers but she could feel a difference because of it.

"What's on your mind Peter?" Asked Anya as she watched her mentors face deep in thought.

"The test." He simply said.

"The test? What about it? Did we do something wrong?" Asked Hope concerned that she disappointed him somehow.

"No no. You guys did fine. It's the results I'm curious about." He clarified much to their relief.

"Yea. Me and Anya didn't lose our powers, why's that?" Kamala asked curiously.

"That's what I'm wondering Kamala." Peter said.

"Maybe we're just too strong for the ring to affect us." Anya said boastfully yet jokingly as she flexed her arm.

"I don't think so Anya." Peter said chuckling a little. "The rings designed to work on basically everybody, and the inhibitors proved effective when used on other mutants. Sorry Hope...
Laura." Peter explained, extending his apologies to the two mutant girls for bringing up the inhibitors effectiveness on them and other mutants like them.

"It's okay Peter. We know what you meant." Hope said reassuringly.

"Well... maybe that's it." Laura suggested.

"What's it?" Peter asked.

"It works on mutants. But they aren't mutants." Laura said pointing to Kamala and Anya.

Peter quickly realised the difference between their results. In fact it was the same reason why he had been hesitant to try it on himself and why he had originally asked Laura to try it in the first place.

The inhibitor collars were made for mutants specifically, and the technology they had incorporated were based off of their original design. He got his powers from a radioactive spider bite so he wasn't sure how the ring would affect him. Kamala and Anya were in the same boat.

"That's it. That must be it, you're right Laura." Peter said astounded. Laura smiled at his praise to figuring out his problem.

"The rings were made to work just like the collars, which were to focus solely on mutants with the mutant gene. But we don't have the mutant gene, therefore the ring doesn't work on us." Peter explained.

"Then... why did I feel a difference... and Laura didn't?" Hope asked.

"Oh yea... that's right. Hope said she could feel a difference when she wore the ring." Anya said recalling how Hope described the effects on her.

"I can't say I know that yet. But I'm sure after a while... and a few more tests... we should get more answers on how they work and what we can do to improve them. Ok." Peter said.

"Yea. I'm sure you'll figure it out Peter. If anyone can... it's you." Hope said blushing slightly.

"Thanks Hope. I appreciate that, and I'm sure I'll figure out the answers." Peter affirmed.

"Ok, it's been a long day filled with surprise visits, foiling bank heists and some surprising results from our test. Why don't we get some shut eye for the day and pick up from where we left off." Peter suggested quickly changing the subject and tone of his voice to be a bit more serious.

"Sure thing." Kamala agreed.

The girls quickly made their way into the elevator and went back up to their floor to shower and get some rest. Peter on the other hand went back to his office and decided to finally check on that project he'd 'acquired' from Stark after his failed takeover.