Family Reunion

VERITY'S POV
~_______~_______~

I forgot my 'family' was coming to visit today. I didn't think there would be so much of them though- like, holy crap man.

"Chi è questo?" Asked a voice from the corner of the room. A frail, old woman was speaking. "Valentino, perché una delle tue puttane è vestita da maschio e gira per il soggiorno?" (Who is this? | Valentino, why is one of your bitches dressed as a boy and walking around the living room?"

Matteo snickered in the corner and I said nothing. They didn't know I spoke Italian, and I'd like to keep it that way.

"Mamá, this is Verity. We took her in last week, she's been alive this whole time." Francesco said as if it was a casual thing to say. The woman, who I now knew as my grandmother, opened her eyes wide in surprise. She shuffled over as fast as she could and pulled me into a tight embrace.

"Is it really you, my love? It's me, your grandmama." She had tears in her eyes. I was stiff due to the fact she was touching me and showing affection.

I wasn't repulsed or anything.. just terrified. I looked around frantically and Valentino slowly pulled her off me.

"She's shy. She doesn't like being touched, or talking, but she will listen to you." He said gently to our grandmother.

I didn't miss the flicker of hurt in her eyes but she quickly covered it up and smiled, showing she understood. I relaxed a bit but was still on edge. There was about 11 people in here I didn't know.

Everybody introduced themselves. Esmé was my grandmother, married to Giovanni. Rosalie was my aunt and she was married to Diego- they had 2 kids, Carlo and Castor. They were funny and outgoing. Carlo was 17 and Castor was 15. They were my cousins. Then there was Markus, my uncle. He had 4 children, Antonio (19), Rocco (21), Aldo (18), and an adoptive child- Santino (19). My other cousins. Everybody seemed happy to see me but I didn't say a single thing to them. Just slightly smiled and nodded at whatever they said.

It was finally time for dinner, and we had to bring some more chairs for the table so the seating we usually sat in was different.

           Francesco
   Markus   -    Diego
   Esmé       -    Giovanni
   Rosalie    -    Carlo
   Verity      -    Matteo
Valentino  -   Castor
  Lorenzo   -    Leonardo
   Aldo        -    Rocco
  Antonio   -    Santino
  Emilio     -     Enzo
              Andrea

"So, Verity, what was your life like? Before you got taken back in?" Asked Diego.

I went stiff at the question. Nobody asked me about it since I got here, so I haven't said anything.
I just gave a thumbs up in hopes he would drop it. But, of course, he did not.

"Who did you live with?"

I shrugged.

"What were they like?"

I shrugged.

"Did-"

"Oh my god , just drop it, she obviously is seeking for attention. She probably had a picture-perfect life, whoring around with jocks at her school." Matteo scoffed, cutting him off.