Reincarnation of the soul

There was before you, and it was dark.

A fair face with a growing smile and splashed freckles around her nose. Long brown hair that bounced as she ran through the forest. Then there was her laughter. It was angelical. Her long dress brushed the grass as her bare feet struck the ground. Then there were her eyes. Fierce, almost intoxicating. And her voice, his name on her lips.

"Jasper..."

***

Jasper shook the feeling from him as they exited the pawn shop. Carlisle, Alice, and Edward were close behind him. Edward was stiffer than usual, he had smelled her the moment she opened the door, how would Jasper keep control close to her? This was all very dangerous. They got in the car and drove in silence until they reached their house. Jasper ran to his room, leaving his family behind.

"What happened in there?" Carlisle asked with a sigh.

"I can't tell," Edward said, his brows furrowed. "His thoughts were cloudy and distant." Through the door Esme, Rosalie, Emmet, and Michael greeted them.

"What's going on with Jasper?" Esme wondered worriedly. Even if they weren't biological children, she saw them as such, and seeing one of them in pain broke her unbeating heart in a million pieces. Carlisle wrapped his arms around her, feeling her distress through the mating bond. Edward stiffened as he heard Alice's thoughts, things would get very ugly if they allowed this to carry on.

"It was her," he murmured. The whole family turned towards him as he looked at Alice. "Wasn't it?"

"Yes." Alice hummed tightly, she tried to contain her excitement, Margaret and she was going to be best friends, and Rosalie too, even if she couldn't see that yet.

"Let's talk inside." Carlisle offered, never letting go of Esme. They gathered in the living room, Jasper still locked in his room.

"What is this about?" Asked Rosalie, her tone harsh. Emmett's hand in hers.

"Alice had a vision." Explained Edward, "Before we came back to Forks."

"What was in the vision, Alice?" Esme urged.

"It was a girl," she began, her voice mellow. "Only in it she was-" She paused. Jasper was coming down.

"What's going on?" Jasper asked as he entered, finding his whole family in the living room. He met Alice's eyes first, soft and understanding, he caught a glimpse of Mike's too, how he looked at Alice, how he felt about her. Just like Rosalie did with Emmet. Just like he had with-

"What did it feel like?" Edward perused, obviously having heard his thoughts. Jasper held his arms on his chest.

"At first I only felt a tingling sensation come over me as I got closer," he explained, taking a seat in one of the lounging chairs. "Then she spoke and it was as if the angels themselves were singing." The family looked at him, Carlisle and Esme holding each other. Rosalie and Emmett, Alice and Mike. "And when her eyes met mine," he let out a breathy huff of air. "I almost felt alive again." Jasper's eyes shone gold. "It was as if before her there was only darkness, and after her, there was only light." He concluded. Just like he had felt with her back in Texas, all those years ago.

"You already knew her?" Edward commented in shock as the thought reached his mind. Jasper tensed.

"I-" he disappeared and came back in a split second with the book he was going to sell to the pawn shop. He sat in the chair again, holding it in his hands. "I was going to leave this at the pawn shop," he explained. "I thought that it could be a way of letting go off-" he took in a breath, though it was of no use to him, it helped stabilize himself.