Part 6

Tarak

As soon as we enter the pet park, I release my pet from her leash. She needs some reassurance and soon, she scampers away. I take a seat on a park bench, enjoying this place. I have lived on Hydra for decades, yet I have never been to a pet park. The sounds the animals make remind me of my home planet of Cerberus, and the fact that other scourges are relatively quiet adds to the appeal of this place.

Until a scourge seated on a nearby bench destroys the glorious silence.

"I'm Loviatar Lyth. Are you a new pet owner?" asks the scourge.

I grunt, not knowing what to make of this scourge who speaks to me. "Yes."

"What kind of pet?" asks Loviatar.

"I think my pet is a..." I try to remember the strange word the private had suggested to me. "A hooman."

Loviatar laughs. "Really?"

I side-eye this scourge, wondering if he might be sick in the head. Not only was he speaking to strangers, but he seems to be enjoying the conversation. He must have an illness.

I growl and flash the tips of my fangs at this Loviatar Lyth, warning him to hold his tongue.

Why is he still speaking?

"It's just... Well, I have a human," he says, reaching behind the bench and pulling a creature into his arms. "Is your pet similar?"

My eyes roam over the beast that does indeed look like my pet; it has the same small stature as mine, as well as the same weak, soft-looking skin, although the skin on this scourge's pet looks a bit mottled, with patches of blue and black. His pet is also naked, but many scourges keep their pets that way so an absence of clothing is not unusual.

"Mine is similar to this one."

"A human, then. Male or female?"

"Female," I say and glance around me, searching for my pet. I hope that she might be dominating some of the smaller ones so that I can proudly point her out, but when I spot her near the trees, it looks like she is near butterflies. Maybe she is practicing her hunting skills? Wait-no, I'm mistaken. She is petting one of the butterflies.

What is wrong with my pet?

"Mine is a male," he says, firmly gripping the phallus between his pet's legs. I can't help but notice how nonresponsive his pet is. My pet has bright eyes, sometimes fierce and defiant while this one's eyes are dull.

It might be beneficial for my pet to interact with another human, so I call her. Maybe she can practice tackling and dominating this one? Her head flicks in my direction, but then she turns her head away and toward the butterflies. Ah yes, she is pretending she hasn't heard me. I stomp off to fetch my pet.