Part 34

Kayla

My mind spins. I don't just crave but I need the touch of my alien. To have all his attention on me while he feeds, bathes, and holds me.

It's not just me, though. My Tarak needs it, too, it's evident by the way he growls and thumps his tail.

Even though it hurts me to do this, I need to make this sacrifice now so that I can get him to agree with my decision. It's the only solution I've been able to come up with so that I can put an end to those doing abominable human lobotomies. I am taking this risk for the greater good, the welfare of my fellow humans.

My owner, Tarak, does not want me to have this chip implanted in my head. The risk of the operation alone is unacceptable, but if he knows my real reason he will never agree. No, he would want to wrap me in a blanket. If I am safe, whatever happens to other humans would not matter.

I need to try, though. Yesterday, it was Adam. Today, Ava is in danger. Unless someone stops Loviatar, in the future there will likely be more.

So, when my Tarak calls for me and points at the pillow, even though it hurts me to do this to him, I back away from him.

"No."

This is not acceptable to him. His tail makes a loud thwack. He springs forward, cornering me against the wall and stopping only inches away from me. His nostrils flare as he stares down at me, but those all-consuming dark pupils reflect his need. "Pet, I need... I need..."

My heart aches for both of us.

He picks me up and holds me in his lap, his warm arm around me. He holds a berry out for me, just out of reach. It is a game we normally play. He waits for me to nip, or suck at his fingers.

The game was never about the berries; those were just the vehicle to get us to play, touch, and feel each other's skin.

This time, though, even though he keeps murmuring about the need to eat and shakes the berry, I stay still.

He shakes the fruit again. "Pet... Kayla..."

My stomach betrays me, gurgling so loud that we both hear it. Yes, I am hungry, but I will not eat. I will sacrifice all my meals if I must.

Tarak growls and drops the berries into my bowl. He goes to the pool room. I follow, watching him prepare by laying out the fluffy towels he likes to wrap me up in after my bath and adding a special concoction of leaves to the water that makes the room smell like flowers.

When he finishes, he holds his hand out to me. "Kata."

I ignore his outstretched hand and turn toward the door, walking away. Tarak roars. The scourges are not only strong, but their thighs are massive and muscular, and he leaps from one end of the room to the other, where he now stands in front of the door, blocking my path. Although he looks and sounds fierce, he is gentle in the way he lifts me into his arms.

"Kata," he says, carrying me into the pool.

Once we are in the water, he presses his palm against my belly, trying to ask me if he can touch me in certain ways, but I do nothing: no growl, no bell, no reaction other than a blank stare.

Tarak's eyes look sad. He continues with the bath ritual, lathering my hair with shampoo and pouring warm water over me. With no response from me, he carries me out of the pool and dries me with the towel.

Now it's bedtime, which is the ultimate test. He climbs into bed and pats the space next to him. No, I cannot give him this either. Sleeping with my head on his chest would give us intimacy.

It hurts me so much, but I need to go through with this. I retreat to my crumpled blanket on the floor, wrapping myself in it.

Tarak, my alien, moans as if he is in pain. He reaches his hand out to me.