Chapter Six

"I trust you will follow me without question?" Demeter's icy tone rang out in the still air. However despite her coldness, Onyx could sense uneasiness in her voice as she watched the Queen's violet eyes darting anxiously from Rok to the empty hall surrounding her. Her unscathed hands slightly trembling as the Queen reached out towards the iron door and turned the key; swinging open the dungeon door, the screeching scream of the rusty metal hinges echoing in the empty hall.

Onyx exchanged a brief, you first, gesture with Rok, only to receive a look that conveyed, ladies first, in return.

"He's like a lost puppy" Onyx thought, rolling her eyes slightly before walking through the doorway of the cell, with Rok following suit, closely behind.

As she stepped through the doorway, she paused briefly before the Queen, holding her arms out, ready to be bound by chains. It was a cruel process, yet one she had become unwillingly familiar to, something she had undergone many times before. However, she was taken aback by the Queen's response.

"I feel that I don't need to chain you up, but don't mistake my kindness for stupidity," Queen Demeter warned Onyx sharply.

They followed the Queen in a single-file formation. Onyx trailed closely behind, careful not to step on the Queen's flowing dress. However, in her cautious steps, she had become slower, causing her to grow distant behind the fast pace of Queen Demeter's clacking heels. So distant in fact she had almost backed into Rok, earning a sharp but amused glare from the Half-breed.

"We're here," The Queen announced, halting suddenly at the presences of two, large, wooden doors, effecting in yet another near collision involving Rok and Onyx.

"Watch were you're going you big buffoon!" Onyx thought with frustration.

Queen Demeter turned abruptly at the sound of the scuffle, irritation evident in her violet eyes as she eyed then harshly. "Will you two stop acting like children?" she hissed.

In an awkward silence Rok and Onyx glanced at each other and though motioning for the other to answer. Finally, as though they both came to a silent understanding, they both nodded.

With a loud sigh escaping her lungs the Queen forcefully swung open the grand wooden doors, letting the light flow freely past the once closed off castle doors, illuminating the dark hallway with the suns bright, cleansing, rays. The cold atmosphere warming instantly as the light spilled onto the inclosing stone walls and floor. But as it did, it also ignited a dormant part of Onyx's soul; bringing a flicker of hope into her life as she caught a glimpse of the world she had missed far so long even if only at a glance.

With weariness, she took a step towards the outside, her eyes struggling to adjust to the brightness. The sun's rays were almost blinding, casting its pure light upon everything. The soft and fluffy dirt beneath her boots felt different from the coarse and unforgiving sand of the arena. The air smelled fresh and clean, infused with the scent of earth. In the distance, tall evergreen trees reached towards the sky. However, obstructing her view of the beauty she longed to see, was a half-built wall surrounded by prisoners. Orcish prisoners.

-ooooo-

Rok hesitated to pass through the doors, however he remained aware that he had no choice but to do so. With reluctance, he followed Onyx, forcing even his own feet to move. He began to envision the angry prisoners he was responsible for, knowing that many of them wanted him dead. The realization struck fear into his heart, as he understood that they would gladly gang up on him once they recognized him. He glanced hopefully at Onyx, recognizing her strength and prowess in combat, finding solace in the thought of having an unusual ally.

"You can never have too many allies," he silently reassured himself.

The Queen led them down a narrow path towards the unfinished wall, an assortment of tools scattered around. Varying from wood saws to pickaxes, every imaginable tool was present, except for a sword. The tool he would need most. Rok eyed the equipment heavily as he walked by, following the Queen until she reached their designated area. As they passed, he noticed the many looks and glares directed at them by the other builders. It seemed that within an hour, he had already made enemies. They gawked at him and Onyx as if they were nothing more than fresh meat.

The Queen stopped, this time more slowly, letting Rok stop to with fluently rather than bombarding with Onyx for a third time. Demeter then reached towards a table and grabbed the two wood saws that laid on it, tossing them abruptly into the air for them to catch. Rok caught his with ease, while Onyx, in a more childlike manner, fumbled hers to the ground before finally securing a steady grip on the handle.

"She's kind of cute, like annoying stray that grows on you" His thoughts rang out in his head as he amusingly watched her clumsily grabbed hold of the saw.

However, the Queen displayed no emotion, her expression void of any amusement. "You two will cut beams and bring them there—," she started dryly, directing their attention to a pile of large beams. "Now, get to work." She ordered in a whip snapping tone.